Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Found a old Air Forice badge? Please help identifiy

Article about: I found this while metal detecting today. Just wondering if someone had a picture of a complete one or had more history on it? Also, is it worth anything?

Default Re: Found a old Air Forice badge? Please help identifiy

Possibly off an ammo box or something similar, although these usually just had 'US' on them and then the emblem.

Steve T

Quote by mindspike View Post
    Do you have anything that I could google that could give me some info on it?
    Sorry, but I can't and to a certain extent I am just speculating, though I have seen lot's of lead seals on old building sites, but none for the US forces.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Steve T View Post
    Possibly off an ammo box or something similar, although these usually just had 'US' on them and then the emblem.

Steve T

Off topic. But my name is Stevie T also. lol.

Quote by Bond View Post
    Sorry, but I can't and to a certain extent I am just speculating, though I have seen lot's of lead seals on old building sites, but none for the US forces.

Hmmmm. I guess it's a mystery lol. I've emailed a few air force history sites that I could find online. Only one has replied and he didn't know what it was either but he said it was for sure air force related.

Hi Steve T

As had been said, if it was military it would almost certainly have 'US' and not 'USA' on it, which does point towards it being something like a sweetheart 'piece'. That being said, lead seals were made by all sorts of companies so it isn't beyond the realms of possibility that it is off a military box of some sort.

Steve T

I'm sticking with it not being GI issue with the USA on it. Could be a toy, trench art or sweetheart item. I've seen this before but I can't remember where. I was going to get into my collection this weekend. I've got tons of weird stuff like this. If I find a match I'll update you. Good luck.

Burt

Quote by milmuseum View Post
    I'm sticking with it not being GI issue with the USA on it. Could be a toy, trench art or sweetheart item. I've seen this before but I can't remember where. I was going to get into my collection this weekend. I've got tons of weird stuff like this. If I find a match I'll update you. Good luck.

Burt

Ok thanks! Let me know if anything turns up

Quote by milmuseum View Post

Burt
    An old lead toy would also make sense.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

I finally got an email back from the National Museum of the U.S. Air Force

"Stevie

The artifact you uncovered clearly shows the U.S. Army "Prop & Wings" used by the Army Air Corps and Army Air Forces through 1947. It is not possible to provide an authoritative identification of this item, but looks similar to lapel pins current in the 1930s-1940s. Almost any item could have carried the "Prop & Wings" stamp, so narrowing the search to a specific type of clothing item or
    piece of equipment will be largely impossible. We apologize for any
    inconvenience.

If you have any questions or comments please contact me. Have a great
    day!"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2