Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Gallipoli 1915-2015. Helles, Lone Pine, Chunuk Bair...ANZAC cove.

Article about: Hey Guys, I was just at Gallipoli for the 100th anniversary 2015. I can't put in words how amazing it was as a kiwi to be there for the dawn service and then the Chunuk Bair service. I had 2

Wow mate where was that naval/artillery museum ???
    Just out of interest those pill boxes on the beach are left over from the end of WW2 when the Turks entered the UN.

?

Yeah mate. There were a lot of old WW2 pill boxes on the beach and a few inland
    a bit on the main road.
    The navy park was next to the ferry port on the Gallipoli side
    of Cannakale.

?

Could this be part of a Suspender Bar for a Medal?
    I found it about 100m below Chunuk Bair.
    It's quite big.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Gallipoli 1915-2015. Helles, Lone Pine, Chunuk Bair...ANZAC cove.   Gallipoli 1915-2015. Helles, Lone Pine, Chunuk Bair...ANZAC cove.  

Gallipoli 1915-2015. Helles, Lone Pine, Chunuk Bair...ANZAC cove.  

Danger

Thanks for sharing your experience ~ I envy you ~

I live in Far North Queensland which is really a mere hop skip and a jump to the Kokoda Track ~

I would luv to do that one ~ but I do wonder if I would end up a casualty of the track .....

Another tough ~ ANZAC struggle ~

Cheers

Stuart

?

Cheers mate,
    I had 2 ballot passes and I took my Aussie mate.
    She has said we should do the Kokoda track next year. I'm looking forward to it.
    You have to do it.

Nice post. I live and work at Gallipoli and yes have explored the area around The Farm Cemetery (not to be confused with Pink Farm Cem in Cape Helles), it is probably the most picturesque memorial on the peninsula for its beauty, silence and isolation. I did find an almost intact set of remains just off the track on the walk down t it. And nature is always popping shell cases out of the ground. Gallipoli is such a unique and beautiful place that witnessed the extreme madness of WW1

?

Hi,
    What did you do about the remains? Did you report it?
    Might still have I.D tags?
    I was surprised by the amount of shell cases and buttons and clips and bandoleer parts lying on the ground.
    And that's on the tracks.
    I would love to go back and have a good look around in the future with my sons.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4