Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

German Flak Shrapnel? But how?

Article about: I found this big heavy chunk of metal at the exact place where a FW-190 A-3 crashed, and I keep asking myself, what on earth is this thing? It seems to heavy to be a part of the aircraft its

Default German Flak Shrapnel? But how?

I found this big heavy chunk of metal at the exact place where a FW-190 A-3 crashed, and I keep asking myself, what on earth is this thing? It seems to heavy to be a part of the aircraft itself, and I have been told it is shrapnel, but I find that sort of odd. The plane did take a lot of ground fire, but could a big piece like this really get stuck in the plane, survive the crash landing(The plane was 100% destroyed) and stay in the plane all that time?

What is your theory? This is driving me nuts!

I'll post dimensions tomorrow, but it is about 8mm thick and heavy.

Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

Default Re: German Flak Shrapnel? But how?

Gday mate,
    The FW-190a3 was also used as a fighter bomber,may be it was on a strike mission and you have a piece of it's payload(Bomb casing fragment) that got lodged in the aircraft when crashed.
    Just a thought.
    Have a good one.

It could well be nearly anything-it has a definite shape to it with several "shoulders", so it obviously was more than a piece of anonymous shrapnel from flak. A flak shell head would not have much "shape" to it, of course. Dave could be totally right on, or it could simply be a piece of the planes mechanics -maybe even a piece of the motor's engine block itself. At any rate, it's an interesting relic from a WWII famous aircraft. Very cool thing! William
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Lightbulb Re: German Flak Shrapnel? But how?

This is guesswork, but this could possibly be a fragment of undercarriage strut. The thickness sounds about right.....

Also consider if the area had seen fighting, bombing or artillery fire before the FW crashed, and that piece has no connection with the aircraft at all.

I think I can wipe out a couple of theories right here.

The plane was shot down 1 February 1943 on the West coast of Norway. It did not have anything to bomb, so why would it have a bomb? It crashed on an island where there has never been any fighting and if it did have a bomb, there would have been a bigger bang and bigger damage, wouldn't there?
    Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

?

Only if the 'bomb' went off and maybe it was doing some live firing exercise?