Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

German Luger dug up on city centre building site: Pistol dates from 1943

Article about: by klinger i would love one in any relic condition but it is not possible here in the uk, i got so many dug ups offered in the past but coud not get them as it is here not legal, damm law an

Default Re: German Luger dug up on city centre building site: Pistol dates from 1943

Quote by klinger View Post
    i would love one in any relic condition but it is not possible here in the uk, i got so many dug ups offered in the past but coud not get them as it is here not legal, damm law and stupid as well
    Reminds me of the time my grandfather passed away and when clearing out all of his things we discovered a black leather pistol holster at the bottom of a wooden box full of his old clothing. I knew straightaway it was a Luger holster and when i grabed hold of it knew there was something inside as it was heavy. Sure enough inside was a lovely condition S42 Luger and when checked was live and in full working order. I hasten to add rather than risk keeping it it was handed to a local Police officer who was a good friend of the family who then ensured it was made safe and deactivated before giving it back. I so regret selling it for £750 when times were hard a few years ago as they are probably more expensive now that i doubt id ever be able to afford another. The one i had was brought back from Normandy by my grandfather and was taken from A German POW there. We never knew he had it but recall him talking about how German POW's were frisked for anything of interest. One my grandfathers friends had a Knights Cross he was given by a prisoner and one wonders where that is now. Regards Tim.

Default Re: German Luger dug up on city centre building site: Pistol dates from 1943

Awesome find Tim !
    From my childhood on I am interested in weapons and the WWII.

Once I read in our local newspaper a story about a man who fled a prisoncamp and to protect his family slept with a gun under his pillow. When he was safe he forgot the gun and when ik came up he handed it to the police. He was so attached to it that the detectives made a photo for him to remember it. That made such an impression on me that I never forgot it. I even kept the paperclipping

Years and years and years later I told that story to my grandad. I remember he went completely silent, walked to his workingroom and showed me a 20x30cm photo of a... Luger I'll never forget it...

He was in the Jap camps on the island of Java but never told me a thing about it. Now he and my grandmother have gone I found a large trunk stuffed with their camp-dogtags, many letters, postcards in Maleisian writing, his uniform, helmet, military passport etc etc. EVen the boattickets back to Holland and the last telegram : we'll be home tonight at last" is there....Googebumps 'n tears I tell you.

I wil not post those pictures here. Will find a suitable place on this forum.

Funny that the Luger story 'triggert' this memory....Just had to share this.

Regards from Holland.

Jos.

nice story jos, love to see the pictures

Quote by Dutch Collector View Post
    Awesome find Tim !

Once I read in our local newspaper a story about a man who fled a prisoncamp and to protect his family slept with a gun under his pillow. When he was safe he forgot the gun and when ik came up he handed it to the police. He was so attached to it that the detectives made a photo for him to remember it. That made such an impression on me that I never forgot it. I even kept the paperclipping

Years and years and years later I told that story to my grandad. I remember he went completely silent, walked to his workingroom and showed me a 20x30cm photo of a... Luger I'll never forget it...

He was in the Jap camps on the island of Java but never told me a thing about it. Now he and my grandmother have gone I found a large trunk stuffed with their camp-dogtags, many letters, postcards in Maleisian writing, his uniform, helmet, military passport etc etc. EVen the boattickets back to Holland and the last telegram : we'll be home tonight at last" is there....Googebumps 'n tears I tell you.

Regards from Holland.

Jos.
    Hi Jos, What a fantastic story and what treasures your grandfather left behind for you. I still wish i had that Luger but at the time i needed the money and it had to go, but at least i had the pleasure of owning it for a few years so shouldnt have too many regrets over it. It would be great to see your collection so please post it up on the forum. Thanks and best regards, Tim.

heck i want a dug up mp-40

Truly disgusting that a nations govt. has so little faith in its people that they cant even own a handgun.

Quote by Dutch Collector View Post
    Awesome find Tim !

Regards from Holland.

Jos.
    Truly an amazing and touching story, many thanks for sharing.

Its confusing anymore,,who are the laws really serving? pretty soon steak knives and cricket bats will be outlawed as well or shortened for that matter. Yep....cant have any history lying around,, that might tell a story of the past. Cars dont kill but the person behind the wheel, does!.....BUT THAT BAD BAD OLD RUSTY LUGER,, now thats an accident waiting to happen but not the drunk behind the wheel of a car! I wonder if the authorities will De-nazify it also,, then maybe after alot of red tape and a long waiting period and a background check of the soon to be owner,,just maybe he will own it,, or just a photo of it. yep great laws protect!! Nice luger by the way!......sorry for the rant regards Larry

Hi,
    I agree with ME109g4, it is discusting that we cant own handguns anymore, but if it wasnt for idiots running around shooting people with them we would still own our guns, and we still want to. the luger found is one i would love to have
    common sence says it will never fire again but it has to be deactivated or get cut up, so deac it i say. My own story of a Luger is when i was a boy my elder brother had one and the fool fired it in the house, my dad went nut,s anfd took it to the river thames and through it off chiswick bridge. I often think of the gun siting down there i the water
    only to think a good magnet my find it one day.
    Dave.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2