Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Guard Dogs Skull Found at US Army Dump Dig.

Article about: Tim my friend Marion was a nurse in England during the war. She is now 100 and has a better memory then me. She has told me about how the MP's came around when they were moving her base to s

?

Default Re: Guard Dogs Skull Found at US Army Dump Dig.

Tim my friend Marion was a nurse in England during the war. She is now 100 and has a better memory then me. She has told me about how the MP's came around when they were moving her base to shoot all the pets because of the quarantine laws. When they came to her hut they asked her to bring out her dog. She being a female Officer told them that she did not have a dog in her hut. The MPs being enlisted men told her they could hear the dog barking. Marion looked at the other Female Officers and asked if they could her a dog barking and they all said "NO". The MP's could not go into her hut because she was a Female Officer and had to leave with out the dog.The dog SNAFU was given to a local worker .She also stated that some of the other pets were taken by the MPs. Marion also told me that she was told that she could not bring her dog back to the US but when she got on the ship to go home alot of the male Officers had brought a pet along for the ride. some photos of SNAFU with some of the girls. Gary
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Guard Dogs Skull Found at US Army Dump Dig.   Guard Dogs Skull Found at US Army Dump Dig.  

Very cool Gary! We often miss the female side of the war. Those photos are beautiful. Please thank Marion for her service.

George

?

I work with military dogs and unfortunately they are put to sleep at the end of their active working life - currently about eight years old. Because they're trained to attack and bite people very few are suitable for re-homing. Luckily the dog I'm teamed with at the moment is one of these so he will end up having a long and happy retirement but unfortunately this is a rare occurance and a sad fact of life for mans best friend.

As an aside, if you want the skull to be whiter, soak it in cold water for 24 hours. While still wet, wrap it in cotton wool, getting into all the crevices and giving a good thick layer. Place the wrapped skull into a flat bottomed pan or dish and soak it in hydrogen peroxide, the stronger the better 9% - 30 vols for example. After a couple of days remove the cotton wool (wear gloves!) and leave the skull to dry. It should be alot whiter, not perfect because it was buried and stained for so long but whiter.
    I use the above method on fresh deer skulls and it works very well after boiling.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

George Marion said you are welcome. She is one great Lady. Adrian C have you ever watched the Doc. on the WWII Marine Corps dogs. They talked to the vets and they said just about all the dogs that made it went home. All the dogs were donated some went home to the family that donated the dog and some stayed with the Marines. Gary

?

Quote by RH1941 View Post
    George Marion said you are welcome. She is one great Lady. Adrian C have you ever watched the Doc. on the WWII Marine Corps dogs. They talked to the vets and they said just about all the dogs that made it went home. All the dogs were donated some went home to the family that donated the dog and some stayed with the Marines. Gary
    I haven't seen that Gary but it sounds like I should! I'll see if I can find it on the net somewhere. Good news for the dogs though.

?

It is very good and as a dog owner I got a little choked up at some points in the Doc. You can tell the dogs ment alot to those Marines when you watch the show. Gary

?

Adrian C the name is War Dogs of the Pacific. Gary

?

Adrian C the name is War Dogs of the Pacific. Gary
    Thank you Gary.

Tim my friend Marion was a nurse in England during the war. She is now 100 and has a better memory then me. She has told me about how the MP's came around when they were moving her base to shoot all the pets because of the quarantine laws. When they came to her hut they asked her to bring out her dog. She being a female Officer told them that she did not have a dog in her hut. The MPs being enlisted men told her they could hear the dog barking. Marion looked at the other Female Officers and asked if they could her a dog barking and they all said "NO". The MP's could not go into her hut because she was a Female Officer and had to leave with out the dog.The dog SNAFU was given to a local worker .She also stated that some of the other pets were taken by the MPs. Marion also told me that she was told that she could not bring her dog back to the US but when she got on the ship to go home alot of the male Officers had brought a pet along for the ride. some photos of SNAFU with some of the girls. Gary
    Thank you very much for posting these pictures they are superb! It will be interesting to see whether any more dog remains turn up or whether this one was one of those "one-off's". Cant wait to go back there and see what else is lying in the ground. Regards, Tim.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2