Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Guess the item...

Article about: Guess the mystery item... Here's all the clues you'll get for now: It's WWII It's USAAF It was found on an 8AF bomber station. First correct answer wins... umm... an honorary mention in Anor

?

Default Re: Guess the item...

5 minutes to photo time...

?

Be honest, how many of you would have walked past it thinking it was something farm-machinery scrap?

?

Isnt the guy on the right Radar from the series M.A.S.H.

I would have left it in the mud thinking it was scrap.

?

My first reaction on spotting it (bearing in mind I was happily clearing soil away from an intact, in position, taxiway light fitting) was "WOW! a bomb trailer clamp... I've never seen one outside of a few photos and the Tech Manual."

My next reaction was "oh dear... I just went past being an Anorak and into uncharted territories of nerdiness..."

Still, here's the lovely Drem System Mk2 T1 taxiway light fitting I was working on at the time:

Ha ha.
    Did you leave the light fitting where it was or did you take it away? Iv got one that came from my Dads farm on Gosfield airfield its one of the bigger ovel shaped ones. It was in abit of a state when i got it so i had it sand blasted what colour should they be? iv just left it with red oxide on for now untill i find out.

Quote by Paul B View Post
    My next reaction was "oh dear... I just went past being an Anorak and into uncharted territories of nerdiness..."
    Nah......I've been in that territory for some time now.

Welcome !

Steve T

?

Quote by 381st digger View Post
    Ha ha.
    Did you leave the light fitting where it was or did you take it away? Iv got one that came from my Dads farm on Gosfield airfield its one of the bigger ovel shaped ones. It was in abit of a state when i got it so i had it sand blasted what colour should they be? iv just left it with red oxide on for now untill i find out.
    It's still there until I get clearance to replace it with a ABS plastic replica, in case the scrap metal fairies come a-visiting.

Unlikely as it sounds, all Drem Mk2 castings seem to have been painted signal yellow when originally fitted.
    Sounds like you have one of the C6 runway flarepath fittings, these took an unfiltered (white) lamp. The bulbs are still available today (well, for the moment anyway) from places like B&Q. Ask for a 230 volt 15 watt "Pygmy Lamp" bulb.

Here's the remains of a smashed C6 casting I pulled out of it's socket today:

PB

?

OI, hold up, i said it was a bomb rack , i didnt say what kind though, i demand the anorak award

Quote by Paul B View Post
    It's still there until I get clearance to replace it with a ABS plastic replica, in case the scrap metal fairies come a-visiting.

Unlikely as it sounds, all Drem Mk2 castings seem to have been painted signal yellow when originally fitted.
    Sounds like you have one of the C6 runway flarepath fittings, these took an unfiltered (white) lamp. The bulbs are still available today (well, for the moment anyway) from places like B&Q. Ask for a 230 volt 15 watt "Pygmy Lamp" bulb.

Here's the remains of a smashed C6 casting I pulled out of it's socket today:

PB
    Yeah thats the type.(C6) I will bring mine home tomorrow and get a photo posted for everyone to see. Im allways keeping my eyes open for them but thats the only one iv ever found.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast