Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

High School ring found at USSAF airbase

Article about: There are many high schools in the U.S that were named Notre Dame. The crest is the school's crest 48 is the year he would have moved on to the military or college.The most likely place is n

Default High School ring found at USSAF airbase

Hi all. Yesterday afternoon I spent a few detecting on the former American airbase. I found the usual bits and pieces, but this one thing got me really excited.

I think it's an American High School ring, although I'm not 100% certain.

There is a crest on the black stone at the top of the ring, and the left side has the number 48, and the right the letters ND. Inside are the letters HJ10K

Does anyone know anything about these things? i.e which high school, or university it's from? If I can find out, then it should be fairly easy to trace the original owner, and return the ring.

Cheers, JD
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture High School ring found at USSAF airbase   High School ring found at USSAF airbase  

High School ring found at USSAF airbase  

Default Re: High School ring found at USSAF airbase

The letters look similar to the University of Notre Dame's overlapping design, but that is not Notre Dame's crest. I'm sure in the HJ10K the "10K" portion means 10 karat gold. Josten's is a hugh class ring company here in the states. I believe they were founded in the early 1930's, so maybe the "J" stands for Josten's. It's a longshot but a start. Good Luck!

Jay

interesting but not unexpected find on an airbase. Very good condition.

What a truly awesome find. Nearly as good as my watch with the name engraved on the back (just kidding ......I am getting damn close to IDing the guy though !).

I suggest you do what I did when I found that harmonica Johnny. Get on the internet and find a museum or collector of such rings. E-mail them a picture and I am pretty sure you'll have your ring ID'd pretty quick. My harmonica was ID'd within 24 hours, even down to the German town it was made in

Oh....the 48 is likely to be the 'class of' year.....so it may not be WW2....but awesome all the same.

Great stuff !

Steve Y

Could it be from a North Dakota college? Just thinking out loud. was the base still in use by US forces after 1948?

Quote by tampalam View Post
    Could it be from a North Dakota college? Just thinking out loud. was the base still in use by US forces after 1948?
    This was my thinking also.

The crest will be the way to find the university/college/school that it came from.
    It is not a 'Josten' product though, as they use their entire name, no initials......
    Regards,

Steve.

?

anybody think the number 48 could be a number held on a sports team, football,softball ect,ect ? that might help narrow it down some.

Cheers for the replies fellas.

The base was used by the Americans on and off for a good few years after the war.

The makers mark is engraved on the inside band of the ring HJ10K This indicates that the maker was HERFF JONES, and it's 10 carret gold. The persons initails are also engraved inside.

I'm having great difficulty in identifying the school/college/university. I've made several calls, to several different institutions and organisations in America, and I'm awaiting reply on a few. One of the places I contacted was the manufacturer - Herff Jones, but sadly they're unable (unwilling) to help.

It's proving to be far more difficult than I initially imagined... but I'll get there!

Sad tha Herff Jones won't help out. I would think that someone in that company could identify the symbol on the front and place it to a school-

Herff Jones was the company that made my school ring back in the 70's also. I still have it somewhere.

Quote by tampalam View Post
    Sad tha Herff Jones won't help out. I would think that someone in that company could identify the symbol on the front and place it to a school

Yeah, thats what I thought!

If I can just identify that crest, then I'm 75% there! This is undoubtedly the hardest part. Once I know the college/university, then all I need to do is cross reference the graduates from 1948, with the initials on the ring, then compare the results to the military enlistment records.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast