Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

How can a person from the Unites States become a digger?

Article about: by helmetone I might take you up on that one day, Lars. That would be quite a thrill. No problem mate Any time except winter. We don't want a East Front winter reenactment going on! Regards,

Default How can a person from the Unites States become a digger?

Well, first off I'm going to be honest. Reading your digging posts makes me a very unhappy camper. Why? Because us fellows from this side of the ocean don't have any dig locations! It just seems so thrilling to make that find. If I took a day trip to a battleground and found a mess kit I would be overjoyed, and you guys dig up wheelbarrows full of relics! I would very much like to take place in these things, but how can I go about that cheaply? A trip to Europe is expensive, and . I really don't want to sell my finds to pay for these trips, but it kind of seems like that's what I'd have to do, and what is the point of that?

So, is there any way to get to mainland Europe with little money or time? Or are there any places in the United States to dig? Not really interested in the Civil War, but I have heard of guys digging on old artillery ranges.

And, how much is there really left to find? I mean, if I wait three more years until I graduate high school, am I gonna be able to dig up fair numbers of items like you guys, or am I just gonna find bits of shrapnel?

Sorry that I sound so new to this. Sort of my introduction to digging. I do a bit of metal detecting at local river low point, but generally get soda cans, spent cartridges left by hunters, and rusty junk.

Default Re: How can a person from the Unites States become a digger?

You could stow away on a ship and hope it is heading for Europe !

Lol, I know exactly what you mean. I believe it is illegal to hunt
    for relics at historic sites in North America, so we're left with
    public beaches, old fairgrounds and football fields !

Best way is to go to University and major in military
    history and/or archaeology.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Wot

You certainly may dig in this country and there are plenty of places to do it! The whole eastern third of our country has seen Civil War battles and there are finds every digging day. YouTube will help with that. More militaria is in the ground than above it and gravity is busy working on reclaiming what isn't already in the ground. Don't forget old home sites that may have buried treasures like gold and silver. You may find a tin full of WW2 German medals. The possibilites are endless, really. You will find the limiter to be time. Too many hobbies, not enough time. If it wasn't for work and family, I'd be a professional fisherman, golfer, boxer, metal detector, gigolo, etc.

In the short of it, plenty to dig around here

Green
    In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. CE

?

Funny, from the title I thought, emigrate to Australia.

You're not a professional gigolo?
    Quote by Greenhorn View Post
    Wot

You certainly may dig in this country and there are plenty of places to do it! The whole eastern third of our country has seen Civil War battles and there are finds every digging day. YouTube will help with that. More militaria is in the ground than above it and gravity is busy working on reclaiming what isn't already in the ground. Don't forget old home sites that may have buried treasures like gold and silver. You may find a tin full of WW2 German medals. The possibilites are endless, really. You will find the limiter to be time. Too many hobbies, not enough time. If it wasn't for work and family, I'd be a professional fisherman, golfer, boxer, metal detector, gigolo, etc.

In the short of it, plenty to dig around here

Green

Quote by wood View Post
    Funny, from the title I thought, emigrate to Australia.
    I thought the same thing, join the Australian army!lol

?

Quote by sandgroper View Post
    I thought the same thing, join the Australian army!lol
    Bugger me too!!!! I was just about to suggest looking at the Australian Army website!!! Funny how words have different meanings depending on where you are!

Well, on a similar note, we in England feel the same. We just want to dig in Europe all the time too, although its a lot closer for us. It still requires time/money etc. However, you must remember that in the US you will have all the many training camps and forts (camp being temporary, fort being permanent), weapons manfs that would have had dumps etc. So, its just a case of finding whats near you that would be of interest, my first call would be to get a list of Army 'camps' and see what they look like now, hoping to find a nice big empty field where a tented village once belonged. That area would of course had a dump as well as all the lost and dropped items.

Failing that, buy a tent, a compass and a STRONG dingy

Mouse

Quote by Good Pwny View Post
    You're not a professional gigolo?
    My secret is out! LOL

Ever hear the saying....so ugly only a mom could love him. Just kidding, there are less fortunate b@stards.
    In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. CE

The Southern California, Arizona and Nevada deserts are littered with "Training Sites" where bits and pieces are still found. Of course your not going to find an old helmet relic or artiliary piece but still stuff out there. We've got an anti-tank training mine that was found by a friend out in he Majave Desert and myself, I recall back when i was just a kid, camping and motorcycle riding out in the Anza Borrego Desert, I found 2-3 (50 cal I think) shells just laying around with out even looking...I wonder what I ever did with those.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast