Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Hurtegen Forest

Article about: A few pictures of our resent visit to the Hurtegen Forest Germany, with our guide Klaus Schulz veteran of the battle.

?

Default Re: Hurtegen Forest

Very interesting pictures from an infamous Battlefield , many people don't realise so much of the Reich defenses are still there in those thick forests,

regards

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Hi Jim, looks like you had an excellent trip! Going there with a Vet must have made it even more interesting. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Just in case people don't recognise the item in the third from last photo: it is a US "Cloverleaf". Two of these, connected with a threaded steel rod were used to hold three cardboard ammo storage tubes together for ease of handling. These were used for various types of rounds.

Cheers, Ade.

It is a must see for me as well! Rob, I'm with ya in trying to convince my Wife that this would be a better alternative as a vacation spot as well... It looks as though my work is cut out for me....LOL!

Huertgen
    ?

Hi Jim,

Newbie member here. My dad fought in the Hurtgen with the US 8th Infantry Division from Nov 44 to early 45 and was at the crossing of the Roer River at Duren in Feb 45. I've been to the forest with Herr Schulz as well and can attest that he is a very good guide. On my last visit, I had the opportunity to explore a series of foxholes where my dad was dug in adjoining the Kall Trail just below Vossenack. Very cool to stand in those holes, but also kind of creepy knowing he'd been there 60 years earlier (and nearly killed). Found a boatload of shrapnel lying on the surface, along with some other goodies. Looking forward to my next visit!

Chris

Great pics and trip Jim looking forward to some more pics . Chris what a buzz that must have been , standing where your dad was during the battle , a rare and specal opitunity , cheers guys , Raymond

JIMSJEEP
    ?

Hi Chris,

Cool story about your father, glad he made it! Yes Mr Schulz was a good guide, very Knowledgeable about the battle. It must have been interesting going back to the locations your dad had once been, those woods are so quiet and peaceful now, hard to imagine what it must of been like for those guys back in 44/45.

Jim...

JIMSJEEP
    ?

Hi Rob, I'm sure your wife would love the fresh European air and great weather?

Regards Jim...

Fantastic finds Jim, great you had a Vet to show you round. Thanks for the pics, have to get to Hurtegen myself one day........

JIM, can you PM me the location of the P-47? We have a few where the pilots are still MIA in that area (I am just north of Aachen myself). Danny

240stevek
    ?

Where did the B-17 part come from?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast