Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

I think iv found a war time gunnery range

Article about: If they look like this then they are the HE fuses, don't use anything to abrasive when cleaning as the markings will disappear John

Default Re: I think iv found a war time gunnery range

Quote by WW2Hunter View Post
    As I learned from Steve T, the .303 was fired by a Bren.
    Spot on ! The elongated firing pin mark and the rectangular 'gouge' on the base of the cartridge are typical of a Bren. Dated 1929 as well......nice find (DAC is the Dominion Arsenal, Quebec, Canada).

You also have three 30cals, a 45 cal head and a 9mm head. Not sure what the plate is off though.

As for the fins, hot soapy water and a soft nail brush, (or your wife's toothbrush), will bring them up a treat

Post pics when you've cleaned them all please I would like to see the marks on the fins and the 30cals.

Steve T

after a bit of a clean. the mortar fins were covered in sand which had welded itself to them,so had to carefully scrape that off . other than red paint nothing in the way of markings as far as i can see. The end of the mortar tail pic shows ELEY - KYNOCH 28.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture I think iv found a war time gunnery range   I think iv found a war time gunnery range  

I think iv found a war time gunnery range   I think iv found a war time gunnery range  

Last edited by cornishboy; 10-08-2011 at 07:20 AM.

Well done mate! there be plenty more where they came from. Now you've just got to find some caps

John

The markings on the end of your mortar are on the shotgun cartridge type case that was used to fire it. The fin is usually marked somewhere, mine are mostly marked at the base of one of the fins, on the fin itself.

As for your other cartridges, they confirm the use of the area during WW2. Now you're starting to find more cartridge cases I suggest you get a decent headstamp code list.

Headstamp Codes on Small Arms Ammunition

That's the one I started with. I even printed it off

Steve T

Thanks WH and Mr T. that headstamp codes list is realy helpfull
    I hadnt realised that you (WH) had found so many fins in the past! tell me are cartridges still dangerous?
    Simon

Quote by cornishboy View Post
    tell me are cartridges still dangerous...
    If they are live, yes. The ones you have shown though are perfectly safe as they are all fired.

Steve T

Over 40 in this pile
    I think iv found a war time gunnery range

John

a few more finds Blimey WH about 40!! well its not a competition you know.well unless i find 50 or more of course and then im the winner
    ref last pic K5 - Kynoch (I.C.I.), Kidderminster, UK (1944)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture I think iv found a war time gunnery range   I think iv found a war time gunnery range  

I think iv found a war time gunnery range   I think iv found a war time gunnery range  

Cool stuff! I love digging threads!

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    It's very cool that you can do this! In the States, you have to "KEEP OFF THE DUNES!"
    Or get permission from property owners to dig for Rev War, and Civil War stuff. Or, you can dig at your family business

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast