Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Identification help - Philippsburg, France

Article about: Atop one of the hills surrounding Philippsburg, I found this piece of metal near a foxhole presumably occupied by Americans during January, 1945. I cleaned it up and was surprised to see tha

Default Identification help - Philippsburg, France

Atop one of the hills surrounding Philippsburg, I found this piece of metal near a foxhole presumably occupied by Americans during January, 1945. I cleaned it up and was surprised to see that it has wood attached between the knurled knob and the "base". While I can't attest for certain, I don't think it's incidental wood from a tree that grew up through it.

One image shows the bottom of the piece with the parallel rails that appear to allow it to slide and afix onto another piece. Perhaps the knob would tighten it. I thought it might be a sighting device for something relatively small...I don't think they would have been able to get heavy stuff up those hillsides (but I'm not sure of this).

Any ideas as to what it could be? I neglected to include a measure, but it's approx. 4.5 cm long.

Thanks!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Identification help - Philippsburg, France   Identification help - Philippsburg, France  

Identification help - Philippsburg, France  

Default Re: Identification help - Philippsburg, France

Hmmm.....got me stumped I am afraid mate.

We try and help ID stuff if we can but this could be nothing to do with the military.

Sorry I not able to help.

Steve T

HVK
    ?

I am 95% sure it is the rear metal for the US M1 carbine mechanism to sit in. This part is held to the stock by the screw and the receiver is put in and turned downwards. Then the barrel, receiver etc. is held down with the front band.

It does however not look rusty - but perhaps it could be made of some sort of zink alloy although I have only seen them in steel.... It is number 18 in the picture:

Quote by HVK View Post
    I am 95% sure it is the rear metal for the US M1 carbine mechanism to sit in. This part is held to the stock by the screw and the receiver is put in and turned downwards. Then the barrel, receiver etc. is held down with the front band.

It does however not look rusty - but perhaps it could be made of some sort of zink alloy although I have only seen them in steel.... It is number 18 in the picture:

I'm not really sure from a M1. Perhaps Bill G. might chime in?

Definitely appears to be an adjustable site of some sort for sure.

HVK - I think you've got it. Well done...you know your M1 carbine! Thanks for the insight.

HVK
    ?

Quote by kkomatz View Post
    HVK - I think you've got it. Well done...you know your M1 carbine! Thanks for the insight.
    I know my M1 Carbine... :-) I have two of them and have owned, repaired and rebuild quite a few.... A nice little shooter....