Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Identifying Egyptian Weapon Suez Conflict

Article about: Hello all, This is a photo I have been analysing with my senior Modern History class. It shows British Soldiers examining captured Egyptian weapons in Port Said 1956. We have been having tro

?

My grandfather was a Royal Marines Commando and a participant at Port Said during Operation Musketeer. Whilst reading about the operation I remember seeing that the Marines were made to return their newly issued L1A1 SLRs and were reissued with No.4Mk1 rifles so the technology wouldn't fall into the wrong hands. Funny decision equipping your forces with bolt action rifles seeing as the Egyptians had soviet SKS and AK rifles.

Still going strong a mix of No.1 MkIII's and No.4's no doubt there is a good smattering of K98's in there as well former enemies now used on the same side.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Identifying Egyptian Weapon Suez Conflict  

Quote by Tn hillbilly View Post
    This looks like a Rashid carbine due to the stock lines and forecap, not an SKS.
    Definitely not a Rasheed carbine, as they were not produced until 1966.

The SKS is positively Soviet aid, as much of it was captured during the conflict.
    As for the Martini, I would speculate that British soldiers (along with the French and Israeli) confiscated every weapon they came across. There were reports of snipers all around Port Said, so while clearing houses and buildings, I'm sure they came across many weapons - even if only 'relics' or 'family heirlooms'. It is also possible it was taken form traditional nomads who carried antique muzzle loaders and early single shot rifles (and some still do) as status symbols or for traditional/sentimental reasons.

Looks like a Sterling or Lanchester submachine gun at the bottom.

TOM

To my mind that is a Greener Police shotgun. These were still in use in Egypt in those and even later years.

Identifying Egyptian Weapon Suez Conflict

Cheers,
    Emile

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2