Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Identifying this item.

Article about: Forgive me for my ignorance, identifying this is not a strong point. A local farmer recently cleared some woodland and discovered this. Knowing of my interest and I thought knowledge in WW2

Default Identifying this item.

Forgive me for my ignorance, identifying this is not a strong point. A local farmer recently cleared some woodland and discovered this. Knowing of my interest and I thought knowledge in WW2 he asked if I could positively identify it. It appears to be completely solid metal its very heavy, an Armour Peircing round perhaps a 2 pounder?. I couldn't help him with much information, but thought may be you could help. He said that before DDay both English and Canadien troops had used the woodland. Its dimensions as you can see in the photo's is 7inches by 2.5 inches.
    Thanks
    LUCKYSTRIKE
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Identifying this item.   Identifying this item.  

Identifying this item.  

?

Default Re: Identifying this item.

Sorry, I cannot help with the ID, but my only suggestion is to leave it where it is and not handle it until you're sure what it is. Best would be to report it for removal.

Quote by Matt R. View Post
    .... but my only suggestion is to leave it where it is and not handle it until you're sure what it is. Best would be to report it for removal.
    I would do so ,too!!

Luckystrike

After many many years of relic hunting with a metal detector, I have got kinda used to how stuff degrades after being in the ground for 60 odd years. I have seen, on a number of occasions, items made of iron AND brass that look like they are just solid iron. But, and here's the problem, over the years the rust tends to cover an entire object, regardless of whether or not bits of it are brass. I have brought items back with me thinking they are iron only to discover, after probing and proding, that parts of the item are brass but invisible as they are covered over by the leeching rust.

Be careful with this thing......it may not be what it seems !

Steve T

Thank you for all your advice. I am very cautious with anything like this and can confirm it hasn't been moved, I wouldn't dream of doing so, it'll be reported for removal.
    It has a very distinct shape, that no other shell appears to have had. From my own research using its dimensions (see photo below) it probably is an AP 2pounder. The brass object that screws in is the tracer cartridge. I understand these were out dated and obsolete before DDay, so perhaps the woodland was actually used prior to 1944.
    Thanks again for sensible advice.
    LUCKYSTRIKE
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Identifying this item.  

guys be wary with these so called tracers in the 2pdrs ,some look like standard armour piercing shot with the long tracer but can actually have a base fuze as well as the tracer and an explosive charge internally. In fact im almost certain the one shown in the above photo is the tracer/base fuze version
    Im attatching a drawing sorry but not in english of the base fuze/tracer.These are longer internally and ive marked roughly where the similar looking tracer units end in length,these are sensitive fuzes and no attempt should be made to remove them
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Identifying this item.  

Attatched photos show the long tracer from a 2pdr note its a lot shorter than the tracer base fuze combination,,ive also attatched an image of the same type of base fuze which is combined into the tracer/base fuze unit,mine is a seperate example but should give you some idea of the build up of them.The projectile may just be a simple Armour piercing tracer round (these also have a short internal tracer),or it could be one of the base fuzed tracer versions,impossible to tell in that condition ,it may have an explosive charge inside as per the drawings ,the fuze may have broken off or never been fitted .
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Identifying this item.   Identifying this item.  

Spotter.. Thank you for all your information I've learn't so much from my original post. It never ceases to amaze me the collective knowledge that the members on this forum have and pass on. I've spoken to my friend the farmer who found it. Tomorrow (as its now 22.00pm) we'll contact the authorities to dispose of it.
    LUCKYSTRIKE