Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Im in cologne!!

Article about: Hello all, Annoyed from this ads?   Right now I am in Cologne for study abroad. I need some help finding WW2 Artifacts. Where do I start looking? Also I wanted to do some metal detectin

Default Im in cologne!!

Hello all,
    Right now I am in Cologne for study abroad. I need some help finding WW2 Artifacts. Where do I start looking? Also I wanted to do some metal detecting, where can I get a metal detector, where should I start looking for artifacts? Also I want to go to battlefields, maybe see an old blown up tank somewhere in the woods, can anyone tell me somewhere to go? Also any other advice you have would help! Thank you. - Nick K

Your youthful exuberance is refreshing Id just be careful with the detecting without having someone who has done it before, live ordnance, MINES!! ...someone asked the same question a few years ago on another forum Battlefields and other sites within range of Cologne?

Thank you for the quick response, that thread was a lot of help! I know in Germany they are really strick on owning stuff with a swastika, is it easier to find american stuff their?

You won't find any blown up tanks, that's for sure...Metal detectors aren't hard to find, especially online...How about studying up on some of the fighting in the surrounding areas leading up to the crossing of the river, the outskirts and wooded areas of the smaller towns/villages that dot the area...check out the local fleamarkets, there's a great Militaria-shop in nearby MAINZ, South of Cologne...You can own items with the swastika, you just can't go waving it around in public for all to see...Be sure you aren't trespassing on private property...and be polite & respectful, that's a big one in Germany!...Oftentimes, I'd get into conversation with a local and they'd tell me where the POWs were held, or where there was a RAD Camp in the area, or a Flak Position etc...The area was under Roman rule during antiquity, and you've got many, many centuries of civilization hiding under the soil there...
    Good luck, GLenn

?

Some good advice for ypou so far , as far as metal detecting goes it is very strictly controlled and you need to comply with all laws and permissions before you become involved in it , both at local and National level otherwise you may spend part of your stay in Germany with the Polizei.

You will find many war related locations around Cologne and the wider area a bit of work searching on google will go a long way to helping you !! Enjoy your stay Germany is a fantastic country !
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Traces of war !!

TracesOfWar.com

Search for Cologne and you will plenty to keep you occupied
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings