MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

An interesting few finds from a Victorian rifle range

Article about: so they don't re-detect them next time. I do the same with modern trash and shotgun shells. Dig them out then bury them all in one spot.

Default An interesting few finds from a Victorian rifle range

I ventured down to the coast to have a snoop around an old Victorian rifle range,well whats left of the butts end.I had a few interesting finds,some from the wartime airfield above
    Headstamp codes;
    R E M UMC 38 S & W - Remington Arms Co., Bridgeport, CT
    an unfired CP 43 VII - Crompton Parkinson Co. Ltd, Guiseley, Yorkshire.
    K2 1942 VII - Kynoch (I.C.I.), Standish, UK (1943-1944)
    R A 42 - Remington Arms Co., Bridgeport, CT

Im not sure what the ribbed peice is or the stamped 'w (something im assuming as its off centered patent' could it be WD?beneath a crown is,although it does look like a cutlery handle possibly?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture An interesting few finds from a Victorian rifle range   An interesting few finds from a Victorian rifle range  

An interesting few finds from a Victorian rifle range   An interesting few finds from a Victorian rifle range  

An interesting few finds from a Victorian rifle range   An interesting few finds from a Victorian rifle range  

Last edited by cornishboy; 11-28-2011 at 06:33 PM.

Default Re: An interesting few finds from a Victorian rifle range

CB

The ribbed piece is the remains of a No. 36 grenade. It is a piece of the internal striker column, in which is housed the striker spring. When the striker arm is released, the spring forces the striker onto the blast cap leading to the delay fuse. When the grenade explodes, the spring is compressed into the column in which it sits, making the marks you can see.

Some other interesting bits. The very long bullets are unusual. Can we have a close up of them please ? You have also got an unusal cartridge in the picture showing the headstamp of the 'stood up' cartridge. Can we see that as well please, as well as the headstamp on it ?

Cheers

Steve T

Thanks Steve,always good to have your inputI hope these pics are of help to you? that unusual one i think your refering to is the unfired headstamp CP VII 43 well whats left of it
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture An interesting few finds from a Victorian rifle range   An interesting few finds from a Victorian rifle range  

Thanks CB.

Not that one.......the one lying flat next to it. It is rimless but has an unusual sloped shoulder just above the base. Compared to the cartridge next to it it looks odd. See what I mean ?

Cheers

Steve T

PS The bigger bullets I believe are earlier marks of 303. Funny looking buggers.

?

The longer projectiles appear at first glance to be .303 Tracer rounds.

Would that be the two stamped RA 42? impressed with your knowledge on tracers,i must read up on them. Thanks again Steve,that my first grenade piece
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture An interesting few finds from a Victorian rifle range  
    Last edited by cornishboy; 11-28-2011 at 07:58 PM.

No probs CB.

If you have a look here.....

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/battl...ford-30086-14/

......LS found some of the 'blown' columns with the spring still in place. It'll give you a better idea of what you've got. Oh, and if you look on page 12 of the same thread, I found a complete column so you can see what it looks like when not blown to bits

Steve T

PS If there are blown columns there, there must be base nuts as well

Ah i thought too it looked familiar,just couldnt place it.Now a base nut would be a good find,i must return soon

?

Oh dont tell me you left your nuts there, really CB , youve got to be more careful where you leave them, anyone could walk off with them !!!

?

Quote by cornishboy View Post
    Would that be the two stamped RA 42? impressed with your knowledge on tracers,i must read up on them.
    The two rimless Remington Arms cases are US .30-06, but unlike the other two rimmed .303 British they weren't stamped with the projectile type.
    In this instance both the .303 cases are stamped as VII, i.e. containing plain MkVII Ball. If they had held tracer they would be marked GI to GVI depending on type, Incendiary .303 was prefixed W and Armour Piercing was prefixed B.

All the best,
    PB

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast