Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Interesting items found in Gas Mask Canisters

Article about: While looking through some of the great threads of all the guys digging around Europe and the great work finding MIA soldiers i have seen a few posts that i find so very interesting and im h

Default Interesting items found in Gas Mask Canisters

While looking through some of the great threads of all the guys digging around Europe and the great work finding MIA soldiers i have seen a few posts that i find so very interesting and im hoping to get some more storys and really interesting experiences.
    I have heard that while going from village to village Germans would loot valuables and carry them in there gas cannisters but not only loot but there own very personal items.
    Some have found gold rings, pendants , ammo etc. Not to sure if most soldiers used gas cannisters for carrying personal stuff or just the odd one or 2 soldiers?
    Please post some of the stuff found even if it wasnt you who found them , maybe a freind who found them? Even better would be images of what was found.

Cheers

Marc

According to the German veterans memories gas mask was often thrown away and gas mask can was used for cigarettes, sweets, sugar and in combat situation also for ammo.

I can certainly see it happening. I imagine a gas mask canister would be quite handy for holding a rolled up belt of MG ammo.

Or food! ;-)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Interesting items found in Gas Mask Canisters  
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

?

As a short comment in another thread i know of a guy who found a gas canister with a quite good cache of gold. The canister was lined with some kind of white yellowish fabric (maybe a bag) and the gold nuggets were in the bag/liner. I saw a pic of it but i of course do not have it myself It was less than half full but still lot of money worth! So i can confirm the canisters were used for other purposes.

On a different note we found 41 coins on some Soviet positions last year, so the Germans were not the only guys looting. Just an assumption. You can see the find in my video on 07:07 minutes Another trip to the Eastern Front July 2012 - YouTube The coins are from the 1790's Tzarina Ekatarina period.

Regards, Lars