Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

An Introduction & An OFFER of help - RAF Reference numbers etc.

Article about: Some time ago for various reasons I stopped my digging activities to focus on other projects such as family and career thus most of my acquired items have been donated to museums etc. and th

Default An Introduction & An OFFER of help - RAF Reference numbers etc.

Some time ago for various reasons I stopped my digging activities to focus on other projects such as family and career thus most of my acquired items have been donated to museums etc. and the detector by and large packed away.

Having been introduced to the forum and enjoying the marvellous threads on display of various activities in various countries, I have been prompted to dig out my archives on my own activities.

As such, I have a large number of resources that may be of use and I would be more than happy to assist wherever possible in trying to identify RAF aircraft parts. I have information on the following WW2 areas:

Aircraft Manufacturer codes - e.g R3 = Avro
    Aircraft Part number codes - e.g. 98 = Mosquito; 300 = Spitfire
    Aircraft equipment codes - 4A/xxx to 71B/xxx (NOTE - the numbers are not consecutive and I have section headings only, NOT the full descriptions of each item)
    Catalogue - All parts coded 6A/xxx (Aircraft Instruments)
    Catalogue - All parts coded 5D/xxx (Electrical Euipment - Armament)
    Catalogue - All parts coded 6D/xxx (Oxygen Equipment)
    Catalogue - All items coded 22c/xxx (Flying Clothing & Equipment to c1965)
    RAF Aircraft registrations to c1965
    Lancaster Log - details all Lancasters made and their fate
    Spitfire Log - as per Lancaster
    B-17 Log - as per Lancaster
    Luftwaffe Claims - East, Western & Mediterranean Front
    RAF Claims - Various Western Front
    Bomber & Fighter Command Losses (Chorley & Franks)
    Aircraft crashes in Shetland
    Aircraft crashes from RAF Turnberry
    Aircraft crashes in Isle of Man
    Aircraft crashes in Ayrshire

None of these references can ever be considered 100% but they are pretty good and have rarely let me down. Some are published works, others unpublished, some my own work.

I am happy to provide the look-ups free of charge and ask only for patience whilst you await a response.

I was a "digger" for around 8 years in the 90's and collected RAF flying equipment for 15 years so I have some practical knowledge of the material. I also set up a military & aviation preservation group that runs a thriving museum, that has also placed memorials at several significant crash sites around the Isle of Man. I have also provided technical advice to TV and Film productions.

My main interest now lies in researching and collecting medals to Isle of Man ("Manx") residents and writing my book on WW1 casualties from the Isle of Man. That said, I am dusting off my detector as I type (not literally obviously!).

I am a qualified airline pilot and have also served (recently) in Afghanistan as part of a military unit, so I do have some knowledge of the practicalities of the equipment discussed.

Default Re: An Introduction & An OFFER of help - RAF Reference numbers etc.

Thanks for the kind offer! Also thanks for the ref number listings, all very helpful stuff.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Any chance you might have a reference to a 15C / 313 ??? and a possible era of use ?

Cheers

Gary J.

Hi Gary, see our forum friends earlier threads. 15c is listed as :

15C = Equipment-dropping and Sea-rescue Apparatus

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Gary, see our forum friends earlier threads. 15c is listed as :

15C = Equipment-dropping and Sea-rescue Apparatus

Cheers, Ade.
    Yay! The system works! Glad it is proving useful.

At least you have an idea what the item was relating to. Pop a picture on Gary and then we can all have a shufti to see what it might be.

?

Well it's a "drop bag" of some type !!!!!

Cheers

Gary J.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture An Introduction & An OFFER of help - RAF Reference numbers etc.   An Introduction & An OFFER of help - RAF Reference numbers etc.  

An Introduction & An OFFER of help - RAF Reference numbers etc.   An Introduction & An OFFER of help - RAF Reference numbers etc.  

That's a great offer ! Many thanks Skypilot......this is going to prove VERY useful for me

Steve T

Gary - Given the size and the coding I would suggest something like a multi-crew dinghy would have gone inside that. For what it's worth, I believe a polite request to Hendon and/or Duxford may yield precise details, quoting the reference numbers.

Steve - After rather selfishly enjoying reading the threads you and others have contributed to I thought I ought to try and make a positive contribution.

All - I have checked my library etc. and realise that I parted company with my B-17 register book some time ago so I can't help with that particular side of things at the moment - IDIOT!
    Last edited by skypilot; 07-23-2011 at 04:34 PM.