Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Island farm POW camp - A site has beaten me :( :(

Article about: by Steve T Ned (big) Yep......use both regularly. Just didn't think I'd need them where I was going so failed to take any with me Citronella gives me a nasty rash but spike lavendar works gr

Default Re: Island farm POW camp - A site has beaten me :( :(

Quote by big ned View Post
    Hi John,

I'm in complete agreement with you. Also, note the single hole on one end only of the tag. Would appear the tag was either tied on or wired to something like a bag or sack. If it was on, say an ammo box, you'd think it would have a hole each end and be nailed on.

The plot thickens, Ned.
    One thought I had was rations of some sort,as you say, if it was nailed on then it would show damage on removal, sorry do not wish to stray too far from the original post. John.

I have had a thought, could the label be from sand bags, John

Quote by Blackpowder44 View Post
    I have had a thought, could the label be from sand bags, John
    That thought had crossed my mind, but i'd have thought there were opportunities to fill 'em closer to the sites mentioned. I've seen pic's of them being filled on local beaches during the BoB and blitz, but never transported these sort of distances. And why tag them?

It's a good a call as any so far though. BTW, personally, i don't think this is going off topic, the question was asked honestly, and is trying to be answered likewise. There's room for all!!

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Interesting post, Steve. I live in Cardiff and have often driven past Island Farm on my way to Pothcawl. Never thought of getting out a detector though! It's always worth a look. There was a guy in Bridgend who spent alot of time detecting at RAF Llandow (about ten miles from Island Farm)a good few years ago. I'm trying to get in touch with him and he might well have had a go. My interest is in the 50 plus Spitfires which were lost flying from Llandow. Still a few to find!

Not off topic at all Ned !

I am enjoying watching you guys work out where the damn things are from !!!

I must have found 20 over the past few months, but always took one look at them and chucked them because the mud obscured the stamp.

.......I shall be keeping them now until someone works out where the hell they are from !

Ian_ - I am back over Cardiff way the week after next on Monday and Tuesday night. Fancy going over to the RAF base and giving it a blast ??

Steve T

?

I could well be tempted there Steve, another of those 'ought to give it a go's'

Just checked the place out on Google Earth......You can still see where some of the revetments were and also what looks suspiciously like the original hangers !

However, the site is obviously still being used for something as there are loads of cars parked on it and what looks like a cart track !!

Still......If you don't try a place you'll never know !

By the way. I wouldn't bother with Island farm. Worst place I have ever tried to detect in, and some of the nastiest insects I've ever come across. On two occasion big horse flies actually drew BLOOD !! And I mean running down my arm blood....not just a little speck !!

Steve T

?

Agreed. I also see a W.D. and a broad arrow on one of them. War Department?

Quote by Steve T View Post
    Just checked the place out on Google Earth......You can still see where some of the revetments were and also what looks suspiciously like the original hangers !

However, the site is obviously still being used for something as there are loads of cars parked on it and what looks like a cart track !!

Still......If you don't try a place you'll never know !

By the way. I wouldn't bother with Island farm. Worst place I have ever tried to detect in, and some of the nastiest insects I've ever come across. On two occasion big horse flies actually drew BLOOD !! And I mean running down my arm blood....not just a little speck !!

Steve T
    Hi Steve!

This IS (i'm not shouting!!!) off topic. I've been a country lad all my life, and know all about the indiginous bugs of the british countryside. Horse flies, warble flies, whatever, ticks(sheep, deer, otherwise) in all their individual forms, non being pleasant!!

Before you get yourself out in the cuds next time, pop into your local chemists. Don't mess around with 'Piritin' or any other deet based, over the counter remedy, get this.....

Ask for a bottle of 'Oil of Citronella' or, failing that, 'Oil of Spike Lavender'. Both are equally good, and reasonably cheap. Just pour a VERY SMALL (i'm not shouting....again.) amount into one hand, then rub them together and rub over any exposed skin, being careful not to get it in your eyes or mouth(it's pretty astringent!)

That's it. I'll bet my house you won't find better,anywhere... remember,granny knows best, and believe me she was right!!

Try it, let me know how ya get on!!

Smelling of lemons and lavender, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Ned (big)

Yep......use both regularly. Just didn't think I'd need them where I was going so failed to take any with me Citronella gives me a nasty rash but spike lavendar works great......just have to smell like a yardleys cabinet for a day or so

Steve T

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast