Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Isle of Man badge finds

Article about: I was metal detecting on an old playground and on three diffferent occasions dug these badges up. The Royal Marines and the York and Lancs one are self explanatory but the smaller one (a Maj

hog
    ?

Default Isle of Man badge finds

I was metal detecting on an old playground and on three diffferent occasions dug these badges up.
    The Royal Marines and the York and Lancs one are self explanatory but the smaller one (a Majors badge) is too small to be a cap badge, could it be the pip off a shoulder ?

Default Re: Isle of Man badge finds

Yes. It's a shoulder 'pip'.

hog
    ?

Ah thought so, many thanks for the confirmation.

?

Love the "Cat and Cabbage" cap badge, (Y&L), my late uncle was in the regiment. I've got one in my own collection but its "clean"
    If you are going to clean them up, be careful with the Y&L one, it's multi-coloured!

Regards etc
    Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

hog
    ?

Thank you Ian, may actually just leave it as is I will probably just ruin it. Thanks for the heads up.

One other and I personally think more likely possiblity, is that the rank Crown was worn by a Staff Sgt or WO.

Nice finds.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

hog
    ?

Yes also a possibility, thanks for the info .

?

Hog,

Just a thought mate, if you do decide to clean them up, soap, warm water and an old nylon toothbrush should be soft enough, but heavy enough, , to lift a lot of the crud from them, (if you know what I mean), but, like I said before, just be aware that the Y&L is multi-coloured, so be careful.

Regards etc
    Ian D

Last edited by jimpy; 04-04-2013 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Addition

hog
    ?

Thanks for that Mate, as you can see in the pic the York & Lancaster still bears a bit of red on the 'cabbage' !!

?

Quote by hog View Post
    Thanks for that Mate, as you can see in the pic the York & Lancaster still bears a bit of red on the 'cabbage' !!

Hog
    When I can find my camera, (I think my youngest son has borrowed it!), if you have no objections mate, I will get a couple of pic's of my Y&L cap-badge posted on here.

Regards etc
    Ian D

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast