Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

isn't it dangerous?

Article about: Hello....this is my first comment. So please excuse mistakes. I just wanted to know if it isn't dangerous to search these relics from ww2. Because it could be possible that you dig up a mine

?

Default Re: isn't it dangerous?

Sometimes the objects aren't even buried. Case in point:
    20+ years ago some UXB/EOD guy was walking into the Tescos next to the Inland Revenue office building in Commercial Rd Portsmouth & stopped to look at the 6in naval round they'd been using as a doorstop for bloody years... Turns out it was a live round.
    Luckily it's pretty much across the street from the RN dockyard so they got the guys from HMS Vernon to take it away after they'd evacuated christ knows how many people from the area...

Actually now I think about it, that may be closer to 30+ years ago...

?

Yep, I've often seen in friend or collector's homes some large brass shell cases without the projectile and launch powder but with the primer still there. Enough blind you or remove a couple of fingers.

When I was in the marines one buddy had the bad idea to pick up an unexploded flash-bang grenade shortly after he threw it, during an urban exercise. It exploded and he lost 2 fingers and a part of the thumb. And he was lucky he was wearing protective glasses. Truth is that you don't need much to hurt yourself.
    Regards

Matt

You have to assume you are an archeologist when digging relics of any kind,
    working slowly and methodically to get to the object, identifying it,
    and extracting it without damage.

( Leaving the things that might explode where they lay..........! )
    Regards,

Steve.

HVK
    ?

I do not think it is possible to dig on battlefileds in Europe without stumble on UXO quite often. I can not walk an hour in a German wood where there have been figthing without seeing a grenade on the surfase...

If I dig iron I can not have one trip without finding grenades, panzerfausts etc. I think this happens to all detectorists... There are SO much lying out there and the civilians know not to touch it....

I have a handbook of German ammunition - so I know what I am finding. And generally I do not not collect explosives - only brass cases.....

But it is quite common among collectors to disarm grenades, mines etc. them selves. I have a German friend who has +200 grenades, Panzerfausts, rifle grenades, mines etc. that he has disarmed him self.... I would not do it - but again accidents happens so seldom.....

?

If you stomp again on a rusty panzerfaust deactivated by rust pick it up for me!
    Regards

Matt

HVK
    ?

Quote by Zeller View Post
    If you stomp again on a rusty panzerfaust deactivated by rust pick it up for me!
    The tubes you find A LOT of in the eastern part of Germany... But I saw 3 Panzerfaust 60 that was found in the ground but with 90% paint left....

The fired tubes are quite heavy and therefore they do last in every kind of soil.... And they are legal to own in my country...

?

Hello HVK, although interesting (when you buy them deactivated at the military fairs you can always see the soldering paste connecting the headcharge) I think it would be better not to describe too in detail how they do that. Member do not have to imitate them.

Used tubes are legal over here too and I am always interested.
    Regards

Matt

HVK
    ?

Zeller - you are right... I have edited my reply....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3