Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Jersey and German Relics

Article about: Most of the german arms dumps were destroyed by the british with explosives, I remember reading the biography of a british lietenant who was in the advance party to check for booby trap bomb

Default Re: Jersey and German Relics

Most of the german arms dumps were destroyed by the british with explosives, I remember reading the biography of a british lietenant who was in the advance party to check for booby trap bombs, the germans had gathered all their small arms and left it in a warehouse, the lietenant was busy checking the jetties for booby traps when a private ran up to him saying that a british Colonel had ignored his strict orders that no one was to enter the building until it was checked out, he went back and saw this stupid officer remove a german luger from the dump and the lietenant just dived out of the building to the ground - yes, the gun had been boobytrapped but the wire had snapped and the detonator had not gone off, personally I would have thought that the German commander should have been shot on the spot, since he denied there were any boobytraps - a lot of bomb experts were killed disposing of them

Hello, you should take a day trip to Gurnsney and visit the underground hospital i bought a lot of stuff thare in the shop a few years ago..at good prices...also some great museams around the island its not that expensive for a day boat ticket...

Quote by darrenj40 View Post
    Hello, you should take a day trip to Gurnsney and visit the underground hospital i bought a lot of stuff thare in the shop a few years ago..at good prices...also some great museams around the island its not that expensive for a day boat ticket...
    thankx i give it a try

One guy mentioned about german kit being dumped off into the sea in jersey.i wonder has anyone ever dived off the coast of jersey to see if they could recover some/?lv

Quote by LAS VEGAS View Post
    One guy mentioned about german kit being dumped off into the sea in jersey.i wonder has anyone ever dived off the coast of jersey to see if they could recover some/?lv
    No need to dive,on a low tide you can walk down the cliff paths and stand on the guns! It is easier by boat though and less of a walk.......
    If you do dive there are a few good wrecks if vis is good,the Schokland being one,a 1100 ton supply ship that hit reefs to the south. A good few stories around this one including a rumour that the captain deliberately hit the reefs as the ship had 200+ German officers aboard for a party ........ who knows

Have a look at these threads....

Jersey - The Command Bunker

And ...........

Jersey - The museums

And finally.....

Jersey - Bunkers and guns

That should help

Cheers

Steve T

PS No point in MDing over there. The old German gunnery range is a modern day rifle range and a no go. All other bunkers etc have long since been emptied of their contents.

Quote by Maschinenpistole 40 View Post
    No need to dive,on a low tide you can walk down the cliff paths and stand on the guns! It is easier by boat though and less of a walk.......
    If you do dive there are a few good wrecks if vis is good,the Schokland being one,a 1100 ton supply ship that hit reefs to the south. A good few stories around this one including a rumour that the captain deliberately hit the reefs as the ship had 200+ German officers aboard for a party ........ who knows
    down the cliff paths and stand on the guns..... what...... what typ, do you get some of them, do you have some pictures of this relics

Quote by klinger View Post
    down the cliff paths and stand on the guns..... what...... what typ, do you get some of them, do you have some pictures of this relics
    After the war they were pushed over the cliff edges on the north west coast. They were mostly coastal defence guns,large caliber. A few have been recovered, and one placed on its original location as a monument. Unfortuently i dont have any pics, but i will be visiting the area in a few weeks with my kids to show them when they visit,will take some pics then.

en830
    ?

The majority of the small stuff was dumped in Hurds Deep off of Alderney, so unless you are equipped to do deep sea diving you'll not be able to get to it.

Very little is to be found in Jersey these days, I did find some grenade fragments on a disposal site a few years ago but went back with a detector a couple of years ago and found nothing.

Mortar shells are found from time to time on the beaches and a rather rusty pistol was recently found in the grounds of a local manor house, but this is a rarity.

Saying this there is a lot to see in the island, open bunkers, the War Tunnels etc, there are plenty of less obvious things to see as well if you know where to look.

No laws on MD as far as I am aware, but you are more likely to find loose change and coke bottle tops than anything from the occupation, but you never know, good luck.

Quote by en830 View Post
    The majority of the small stuff was dumped in Hurds Deep off of Alderney, so unless you are equipped to do deep sea diving you'll not be able to get to it.

Very little is to be found in Jersey these days, I did find some grenade fragments on a disposal site a few years ago but went back with a detector a couple of years ago and found nothing.

Mortar shells are found from time to time on the beaches and a rather rusty pistol was recently found in the grounds of a local manor house, but this is a rarity.

Saying this there is a lot to see in the island, open bunkers, the War Tunnels etc, there are plenty of less obvious things to see as well if you know where to look.

No laws on MD as far as I am aware, but you are more likely to find loose change and coke bottle tops than anything from the occupation, but you never know, good luck.
    hmmm fishing pole and a magnet lol i couldnt remeber the name of the place theyd dumped it all thanks for the reminder ,in the early 90s i picked up a book guernsey under the swastika was lil touristy item for 2 pounds but it went the way the rest of my stuff did when the wife pissed off my entire collection was thrown away all my models were mashed up you name it even my 98 with bayo was gone oh well cest la vie

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast