Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Just Wondering............

Article about: I am sure that amongst the people on here we have enough knowledge and contacts to be able to arrange get togethers/digs and the like. I for one have contacts in Belgium and monte cassino! s

?

Default Re: Just Wondering............

I am sure that amongst the people on here we have enough knowledge and contacts to be able to arrange get togethers/digs and the like. I for one have contacts in Belgium and monte cassino! so may well be able to sort a trip out to either of these places !

I am awakened by good sounds and sense booming from cyberspace! What a good idea.

Martyn.

?

[QUOTE=Steve T;270492]And this is exactly why we should become a group. Too long these people have held sway over sites that are less than 100 years old. Time for a change me thinks ! And as for the Time Team guys, the experts they normally get for the WW2 bits seem to make some rather elementary errors in identification. I always remember one they did in France on an old Normandy battlefield, (one of the hills....can't remember which), and the expert correctly identified a German 7.92 still live and in the link. HOWEVER.........what he didn't point out was that the cartridge was in the link UPSIDE DOWN ! I reckon they'd jammed it together to make better TV...........

Totally agree Steve some of the knowledge amongst Archaeologists about modern Battlefield History is negligible but of course because they have a degree so they are the experts !!Some of the howlers on the documentaries are unforgiveable.

Some of you know i am involved in Battlefield Archaeology in Eastern Europe , in fact we head east to the Ostfront for the first excavation of the year in a couple of weeks , this is mainly due to the fact that to carry out real Battlefield Archaeology in the UK for guys like us who haven't got a degree etc is almost impossible , despite outr know how , experience , passion, interest we are seen as amatuers by the Time team mob.

I think this is a great idea and support it but practically is there any real chance for working on anything other than the old airfields / camps etc ?

cheers

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Quote by Paul E View Post
    but practically is there any real chance for working on anything other than the old airfields / camps etc ?

cheers

Paul
    ......and have you SEEN the stuff we bring back ???!!! Ok, it may not carry the same historic weight as 'this was found on the German front lines at Kursk' or similar, but the relics we find are still pretty damn good.

There is one heck of a lot of stuff still buried out there that has tremendous historic value. And what's to say we can't organise trips to europe ? You can get a ferry for £100 return and camp out for a fiver a night.

Steve T

?

sounds lke good fun! pity i can only do stuff on forum
    count me in

but i wont be much help. but i can be a conversation starter!

?

[QUOTE=Steve T;270988]......and have you SEEN the stuff we bring back ???!!! Ok, it may not carry the same historic weight as 'this was found on the German front lines at Kursk' or similar, but the relics we find are still pretty damn good.

There is one heck of a lot of stuff still buried out there that has tremendous historic value. And what's to say we can't organise trips to europe ? You can get a ferry for £100 return and camp out for a fiver a night.

Steve i wasn't being critical about digging on airfields / camps in the Uk or the finds that are made , i'm just playing devils advocate , i would like to see a group of us excavating some Battlefields within the UK or Europe and would wholeheartedly support that but is that really likely to happen is all i'm asking or is the group going to do what you guys have already been doing , meeting up to dig out old airfields etc but not Battlefields ?

As you know the cost of getting to Europe is not the problem it's getting permission to excavate legally in France , Belguim , Germany etc that is the issue. Even it Eastern Europe it is no longer a free for all and to excavate legally paperwork is required.

regards

Paul

regards

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Sorry for my slow reply to this thread, Yes of course I will help Jay, great idea. I also looked into joining a metal detecting club, but they just seemed to want to dig up roman etc and that doesn't really float my boat.

So, how do we set this up, what do we each want to get from it, contribute to it etc

If we need a leader of our little band of UK diggers, I vote Steve!

DM

all sounds very intereting ,I would like to tag along as well if thats ok
    Nigel

well, to put something into action, i just set up a Facebook group for us few UK folk to chat, if anyone wants to join the group, add me on facebook and we can work it all out from there.

Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More (hope that link works) if not add me [Dan Mackay] dangermouse_69div@yahoo.co.uk

let me know what you think...

DM

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2