Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Korean War: May Massacre at Chuncheon

Article about: Ha~ sure is. Or like a stroll throught the tulips, only when they spring up, you don't wanna be near them. Have a good one, Dan

Default Korean War: May Massacre at Chuncheon

I finally made it out to a site of an intense battle between U.S. and CCF forces
    in Korea. In fact the 60th anniversary is next week so I really wanted to make
    a symbolic visit there and I really wasn't expecting to find much, but I intended
    to find exact battle positions that I knew about and found which was interesting.
    But to find what I did what...simply amazing. While it was a good day for metal
    detecting, it was still a sobering moment knowing what happened there.
    Still, these finds are worth sharing so here's a few!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Korean War: May Massacre at Chuncheon   Korean War: May Massacre at Chuncheon  

Korean War: May Massacre at Chuncheon   Korean War: May Massacre at Chuncheon  

Korean War: May Massacre at Chuncheon  

Default Re: Korean War: May Massacre at Chuncheon

What an array of items you found. Super fantastic finds, what this forum is truly about. Weapons, ammo, personal items, it doesn't get any better than that. Very nice display too. How's the landscape around there. Can you still see any of the fortified points or is it pretty well worn down and covered with vegetation.

Jay

wow That a very very nice lot you found there...

Superb finds. Well done and thanks for sharing Have you had the writing translated ?

Steve T

Nice lot!
    Even the mosin nagant carbine still has its bayonet.

Regards

Thanks fellas,

Jay,
    For now the landscape is perfect until summer sets in and the vegetation and insects just make it impossible to search specially since I was in a steep valley. But for now, it's just great. And because it's rather close to the DMZ all the positions are still recognizable and undisturbed. I think I may've found an Chinese command position but I didn't have time to check it out. That's my plan for this weekend.

Hey Steve,
    I did ask a Chinese language teacher to translate that bowl and it's in old Chinese
    characters. It's an old military propaganda slogan that means something to the
    effect, "Let's unite (fight?) together to protect the people!" One of my favorite
    finds along with the soap dish lid that has Chinese character flanked by a dragon
    and a phoenix.

Some news on the rifle.....the rifle is still a military weapon and still a military matter. So by law I coudn't keep it, but hand it to the police who then turned it
    over to the military. So that's that I suppose. At least it was a treat to find it and
    I got plenty of pictures/video!

Here's several other pics...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Korean War: May Massacre at Chuncheon   Korean War: May Massacre at Chuncheon  

Last edited by Unforgottenwar; 05-12-2011 at 01:14 PM.

Great finds again.
    The bowl, soapdish are realy a treat and the rifle is magnifficent.
    Al those area's to dig in must be heaven for any battlefield digger.
    Keep on digging there and keep us informed on the progress.

Regards,
    Steven

Quote by WW2Hunter View Post
    Al those area's to dig in must be heaven for any battlefield digger.
    Full of nice stuff to dig, but there is a risk I think.
    I think it's full of dangerous mines over there and lots of people lose limbs or even die from them every year. Or is that just Vietnam???

Regards

Hi Ingrid,
    You're right about the mines over there, the dmz is one of the most heavely mine infested area's in the world.
    Here in our little country we still find them on the borders with germany and luxemburg.
    The last one that i found was a Tellermine 42 with a US mortar shell hidden under it.
    The bloody thing was only 10 or 15ft from the main road.
    Most of us are aware of the danger once you enter a battlefield area, but there are still people who think these things are harmless and take them home.

Vriendelijke Groeten,
    Steven

Hi,
    Great finds i hope you get many more to show us, Cant you keep relic weapons over there
    as they cant do any harm to anyone.
    dave.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast