Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Korean War: Shillim-ni Skirmish

Article about: by Unforgottenwar That is John. My hand was kinda shaking and knew exactly what it was as I have my grandfather's as well. I can only guess that a U.S. Army NCO, proud of his ww2 service, to

Default Korean War: Shillim-ni Skirmish

Hey guys,

Well winter is just about done so now I'm just wait'n for the ground to thaw before
    I head out again. Since I'm waiting I thought I'd post a few more pics of finds in Korea. These are from a series of hills in a tiny town call Shillim. An important north/south road went through this town but it was surrounded by hills with North Koreans in them. A company of Americans were sent to get'em out of there.
    So here's a few of my finds...

A large oriental tobacco pipe, "busted" full garand clip, a 1923 Japanese "penny" and a full garand clip. Gots' plenty other pics but I'll post'em later.

-Dan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Korean War: Shillim-ni Skirmish   Korean War: Shillim-ni Skirmish  

Korean War: Shillim-ni Skirmish   Korean War: Shillim-ni Skirmish  

Default Re: Korean War: Shillim-ni Skirmish

Love the inground shots. Thanks for sharing

Keep on posting those pictures Dan, I'd like to see more of them.

Grtz,
    Steven

Nice post, The first Garand end bloc clip is full of Armor Pierceing(AP) rounds. Notice the black paint on each round.

Very cool finds. Wish I had been into this back in 1971. I spent much of my free time hiking over hills just to find some native Koreans
    that were not influenced by the USD like the ones around my camp. Also spent plenty of time near the DMZ. Met some great old people however. Led a simple, yet hard life. No teeth but a big smile.

Another opportunity lost.

Thanks for the comments guys~! I'm just now waking up and want to spend the
    warm Sunday back up in those hills. They are only a pair of hills and the fighting was more of a skirmish, but of all the sites I've been to, this one is best.

Here's a few more...a U.S. chinstrap buckle, a button (not entirely sure but i think it's a North Korean officer's. gotta do more reseacrh), last old coin find of 2010 and a deer I rescued from an illegal snare. The wire was wrapped around the waist and deeply imbeded and infested with flies. That was a cool "find" and I'm confindent it's going to survive.

From what I can tell, it seems like there've been at least 3 major cleanup efforts since the war and so nearly all I find are small relics. But, I don't mind.

I'll share my findings from today if I come across something unique. Have a good one!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Korean War: Shillim-ni Skirmish   Korean War: Shillim-ni Skirmish  

Well, I went back out to Sillim yesterday and I didn't find many things. But the few
    things I did find....it was a good day. Found a bit of iron, copper and bronze. I'll
    let the pictures speak for themselves! It was a good day, one of my best.

Oh yeah, I've found many garand clips but this time I found one that was stamped on the
    bottom and I've never seen one like it. The stamp is simply "NW" on the bottom. Anyone
    have an idea on what it means?

Good finds there Dan, love the medal.
    I haven't got a clue to what the NW might be.
    What's the animal shaped thing in the 4th picture?

Grtz,
    Steven

Keep up the good work mate!! Fantastic in ground shots! Is that a US WW2 Victory medal?

John

Quote by Whitehunter View Post
    Keep up the good work mate!! Fantastic in ground shots! Is that a US WW2 Victory medal?

John
    That is John. My hand was kinda shaking and knew exactly what it was as I have my grandfather's as well. I can only guess that
    a U.S. Army NCO, proud of his ww2 service, took it with him to Korea. Then as he's storming up that hill that I was on, lost it.
    It's a shame he lost it. Some u.s. medals during that had the owner's name stamped on the back, but not this one.

Hey Steven, That's what's called an "Iron Horse" and it's approximately 1,500 years old. It's from Korea's 3 kingdoms
    period and that one is one of four that I've found on that knob. I guess they're part of a grave, but I think North Koreans dug it up
    as they were making an extinsive system of bunkers and line trenches and threw those horses out. It's a shame really and I don't
    quite feel comfortable keeping something that may be important and part of ancient history. I'm working on contacting local archaeologists.

Here's the other three...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast