Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Kurt Knispel, a tank ace with 168-195 kills found in CZ

Article about: Hello guys, I think you have to see this (also posted at Erkennungsmarken section) Historici na A body of tank ace Kurt Knispel was recently found in Vrbovec near Znojmo. He was born in Sali

Default Re: Kurt Knispel, a tank ace with 168-195 kills found in CZ

Quote by Paul E View Post
    Yes i read that as well Jan , it looks like his face just didn't fit !!
    I heard a story somewhere that he struck an SS officer at a railway station for beating POW's and then jumped on a train. At the next stop they tried to arrest him but his C.O. said they'd have to nick the entire regiment first. After that he was persona non grata with the higher powers that be as he was already considered a thorn in their side with his lack of discipline regarding military regs and habit of ignoring direct orders during battle, preferring to trust his own instincts. Whether this is true or not I don't know.

Another thing I know to be true is that Otto Carius is on record as saying that Knispel's tally of victims was vastly overexagerated for propaganda purposes as indeed was his own. He states that having spoken to some members of Knispel's crew post war, they estimated his/their total nearer 60-70 actual kills. I believe he made this comment in 2011 or 2012.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

The issue of kills counts has always been very subjective , i once interviewed a Ritterkreuztrager with the Hitler Jugend Panzer Divison about his time in Normandy amongst other things and he laughed about kill counts stating that when you were battened down and severley reducing visabilty and in combat with other tanks the only thing his crew were interested in was staying alive not counting how many tanks they may or may not have knocked out.

He had no idea how many Tanks , guns or Armoured vehicles he had destroyed !! I might add he was a contempory of Wittmann thought out their years with the LAH and described him as a great lone fighter who had an instinct for combat , although not always by following the orders of the higher command , a bit like Knispel.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Quote by Paul E View Post
    The issue of kills counts has always been very subjective , i once interviewed a Ritterkreuztrager with the Hitler Jugend Panzer Divison about his time in Normandy amongst other things and he laughed about kill counts stating that when you were battened down and severley reducing visabilty and in combat with other tanks the only thing his crew were interested in was staying alive not counting how many tanks they may or may not have knocked out.

He had no idea how many Tanks , guns or Armoured vehicles he had destroyed !! I might add he was a contempory of Wittmann thought out their years with the LAH and described him as a great lone fighter who had an instinct for combat , although not always by following the orders of the higher command , a bit like Knispel.
    That makes a lot of sense Paul, can't argue with that! I seem to remember Knispel was not a member of the nazi party either, he had no time for political dogma and as such was never in an SS regiment, he was resolutely a wehrmacht man, and fought for his buddies and not a political idealogue. This may also have been a hindrance for promotion and recognition (which did come albeit belatedly) but i'm sure it didn't worry Knispel himself.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

I think Kurt was perhaps not a model of the " Blonde Aryan Superman "......
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kurt Knispel, a tank ace with 168-195 kills found in CZ  
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Thanks for the link Seb
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3