Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Large US forces base finds in Australia

Article about: Camp Cable, Australia was a World War II army training base near Logan Village, Queensland, Australia. Annoyed from this ads?   The base was first known as Camp Tamborine but renamed in

See...look at all that unfired ammo they just left in the ground. This is why our taxes are so high!

In all seriousness though, thanks for sharing. Great info too, on some less known interesting history.

NARA - AAD - Page not found

Here is Kenneth W. Schmidt's enlistment record.

I performed an extensive search for Mr. Schmidt and surviving relatives with no luck. :/

Believe it or not I had to do very little cleaning on this relic, just had to wash the mud off

I used to look around Cable in the early 1970's. Found lots of stuff, and had a run in with a Taipan snake....very nasty. Also searched around Mt Walker where there were live firing Artillery ranges dating all the way from the Boer War up to and including WW2.....found 12 and 15 Pdr projectiles, 18 Prs from WW1 and US 75mm Howitzer projectiles and fuses from WW2. Fascinating places.

Yeah haven't seen any out there, touch wood. Would love to see some your finds Opaden, I haven't been to Mth Walker. sounds like he great spot.

Yeah haven't seen any out there, touch wood.
    Hamish ~

I am assured by the Indigenous types that if you have not experienced negative or sinister culprits in the Aust bush such as snakes or even feral pigs that means that you in fact are 'In touch with Mother Nature" ~ you are welcome and 'protected" by said Bush spirits ~ Works for me ~

I grew up in the bush and I have yet to see anything such creatures myself ~ even after 2 1/2 years of MD ~ well even more if I go further back ~

But never can be reckless or blahzay eh !

Well. I used to frequent Shoalwater Bay when I was in the Aust Artillery and there were quite a few "interesting" moments with Taipans in particular. I live in France now so all my dug up goodies from Mt Walker and Cable have long gone to other collectors in Brisbane back in the 1980's. I still look around on the battlefields here and find a few things that excite me a lot. Isn't history a blast ?

UPDATES from the past 2 dig out there :

Some recent finds from the past 2 dig out there :
    Haven't got out as much as Id like due to work and sadly being swallowed up very quickly by suburbia

Large US forces base finds in AustraliaLarge US forces base finds in Australia

?

Great hunt Kiwi! What is the pile of metal items in the last pictures? Were you able to make out the inscription on the bottom of the dixie in post #1? Looks like Guadalcanal on the bottom.

Cheers,
    Oz.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast