Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Latvian Land left to family member - your help please.

Article about: Morning Gents and Happy New Year! I need this forums' educated knowledge in helping to establish as to whether two pieces of Latvian land could offer or yield any interesting relics for a fa

Default Latvian Land left to family member - your help please.

Morning Gents and Happy New Year!

I need this forums' educated knowledge in helping to establish as to whether two pieces of Latvian land could offer or yield any interesting relics for a family member as we have been left as landowners from a recent will.

Additionally are there any local restrictions that would prevent us as legal landowners to carry out a comprehensive search?? If the land could prove to offer some promising history even organise for forum members to do a search??
    Your help please would be most appreciated!!56.867775,24.414748 (Salaspils lauku teritorija 2121, Latvia) ; Aizkuja.Sarkani.Madonas novads LV4874

Sorry, first link to land worked , the second your have to google I'm afraid!

Cheers Mart.

loc: Aizkuja, SarkaFi, Madonas novads, Latvia (Aizkuja, SarkaFi, Madonas novads, LV-4874) - Google Maps - Try this for the second piece of land gents!!56.867775,24.414748 (Salaspils lauku teritorija 2121, Latvia) - Google Maps
    Last edited by bartman6996; 01-03-2012 at 03:08 PM.

?

Default Re: Latvian Land left to family member - your help please.

No restrictions in Latvia, as far as you care to deact any firearms found and destroy any explosive etc. But you better speak with local diggers they would know more than me. There are constant mil-fairs in Riga nearly every fortnight

?

The area of the first bit is not in the Kurland pocket where the main fighting in Latvia took place but could have seen fighting during the German advance through Latvia into Estonia in 1941 or the Russian attack to capture Riga and isolate Armee Abteiling Narva and parts of Army Group North in summer 1944.

The second bit and its location will certainly have more chance of having seen quite a bit of fighting in 1944.

Without the relevant maps for that period it's difficult to say exactly , maybe Andris and some of our members from Latvia may be able to assist you further !
    Last edited by Paul D; 01-10-2012 at 05:24 PM.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

On checking a few maps the Soviet 2nd Baltic Front did advance towards Riga from the area where your land is situated , one way might be to visit the land and see if there are any traces of trenches / bunkers / shell holes etc !!

I have some land in Southern Estonia that has trenches on it from the 1941 and 1944 fighting !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

well, congratulations on your land and I hope it is stocked full of finds and history.

I'm sure a group dig somewhere with as much potential would be welcomed by all.

Mouse