Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

marine engine for sale from the TIRPITZ ?????

Article about: Saw this for sale on a Norwegian site. WHAT DO YOU THINK ?? FINN.no - Mulighetenes marked Also net to it is Ben Hur army trailer

Default marine engine for sale from the TIRPITZ ?????

Saw this for sale on a Norwegian site.
    WHAT DO YOU THINK ??

FINN.no - Mulighetenes marked

Also net to it is Ben Hur army trailer

Default Re: marine engine for sale from the TIRPITZ ?????

I think you'll need a bigger shelf for that!
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Probably a generator motor . Ships the size of the Tirpitz would have had many diesel engine driven generators on board .

The description says that it is a generator motor....One can only imagine the effort and cost it must have taken to have gotten this thing out of the wreck! I wonder if it is able to function or is restorable?(Although, I can't imagine what it would be used for today)
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

The Tirpitz was launched in 1939, the date on the markings on the generator indicates 1941...

Quote by ErichTopp View Post
    The Tirpitz was launched in 1939, the date on the markings on the generator indicates 1941...
    True, of course, it was Launched on April 1, 1939 but was not fully Commissioned until February 25, 1941. The Tirpitz was not knocked out of commission until November 12, 1944 and was undergoing constant repairs and upgrades throughout it's lifespan.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Yes very true, there is loads of stuff left in Norway from the war, there's aircraft smacked into mountains and shot down all over the place, submarine and ship wrecks everywhere.
    The Tirpitz had something like 20 Major raids go after her and before the Lacasters of 617sqn with their tall boy bombs she went under repair's numbers of times this could be from one of those or it could be some guy trying to make a quick buck, as in the same way every old boy thinks hes selling you a Spitfire aircraft part just cause its British.
    I personally think if it is from the Tirpitz they guy should donate it to the Tirpitz Museum up in Tromso, its only fitting that she ends up there.

Perhaps you must go to see Mr Teigen, I see a wheel of SDKFZ, and one anti tank obstacle , and?

Many engines were salvaged from the wreck-she was just sitting there and the equipment was needed for post war reconstruction-the authenticity of this particular one is another matter though...

September 17, 1944, it was attacked while holed up in Altenfjord in Norway. For this attack the Soviets co-operated by permitting the RAF to use their airfield at Yagodnik. Hit by one of the 13 ´Tallboy´ bombs dropped on the ship, the Tirpitz was damaged but not sunk.

The battleship was then moved south to Tromso and moored in Sorbotn off Hakoya Island. For the next attack on November 12th, the RAF dispatched 32 Lancaster bombers from 9 and 617 Squadrons based at Lossiemouth, Scotland.

Flying at 14,000 feet, they scored two direct hits with 12,000 pound ´Tallboy´ bombs tearing open her hull for a hundred feet. The Tirpitz turned completely over, her upperworks hitting the shallow bottom leaving her stuck there with only her red keel showing above the water.

Trapped inside were 971 crewmen who slowly died as the water rose inside. Only 76 men survived by making their way up to the bottom of the hull which was then cut open by rescue teams.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast