MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Metal detecting in Bastogne

Article about: Hi all! On April I am going on a trip to Bastogne and I decided to bring my metal detector, I have been there on October and I just found some shrapnel, this time I would like to found somet

Default Re: Metal detecting in Bastogne

Ok, Paul thank for your advice, I am sure I will enjoy my trip all the same beacuse there are a lot of things to see there. During my trip I will go to Ciney's militaria fair too and I think that there I will find lot of things of militaria to buy, and legally; by the way, do you think I will find a m1942 paratrooper jacket, at least very salty, for sale at 500-600 euros?

?

If you have time to research, then you could always try and find some land owners/farmers and ask them permission. I don't know if state laws overrules land owner permission. Our Engineers Regiment in Denmark took turns with other NATO Engineers clearing WW1(and WW2) battlefields from UXO back in the 90's. There are millions of shells laying around there with mustard gas etc. I don't precisely recall the numbers, but it was in the 3 digit millions of shells, grenades, mines etc. UXO. Gas shells are recognizable from some lead plates on the side of some shells if i remember correctly. You don't want to dig WW1 UXO!

In Germany it's not so difficult to get a time limited permission

Regards, Lars

?

Quote by David101st View Post
    Ok, Paul thank for your advice, I am sure I will enjoy my trip all the same beacuse there are a lot of things to see there. During my trip I will go to Ciney's militaria fair too and I think that there I will find lot of things of militaria to buy, and legally; by the way, do you think I will find a m1942 paratrooper jacket, at least very salty, for sale at 500-600 euros?
    Ciney is a very good fair to go to David lots of excellent Militaria but the prices are very high !!!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

It has been a few years since i did my research so perhaps things have changed

I thought it was allowed if you had a permit from the local government?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2