Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

MG42 cartridge cases from the Falaise Gap

Article about: These are very humble relics to post here but to me, they're a little piece of history so here goes... One very memorable afternoon in 2008 another Forum member and I spent an enjoyable few

Arrow MG42 cartridge cases from the Falaise Gap

These are very humble relics to post here but to me, they're a little piece of history so here goes...

One very memorable afternoon in 2008 another Forum member and I spent an enjoyable few hours strolling along the River Dives between Moissy and Chambois - the focal point of the Falaise Gap. We had no spades or metal detectors and were fascinated to find, in a ploughed furrow about 200 yds from Moissy Ford, a little group of fired cartridges. Here's one in situ....

I thought I'd subsequently lost them during some home redecoration work but 'found' them again today.

All have the 'squashed' semicircular ejector mark typical of an MG42. Quite surprisingly, all are also brass, old stock dated 1938/39. Maybe they'd been in store in the 'quiet' Normandy sector until 1944 ? Who knows.....

Anyway, they were fired in anger at Falaise . Finding them with the Mk 1 Eyeball was a thrill, and in some ways they mean more to me than other items in my collection which have cost much more than the £0 these cost me

?

Very cool pieces and a cool story!