Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Military history

Article about: Hi, As this post covers archealogy, have you thought of your families military history. I have research my family for some years now and have found some very good stories of the militay side

Default Military history

Hi,
    As this post covers archealogy, have you thought of your families military history. I have research my family for some years now and have found some very good stories of the militay side of it,. i thought i would show two to start off with, The first is my G.G.G.G grandfather Edward The last battle he was in was Karrickfurgus castle against the french he was discharged in 1763. the second is an ancester who fought at Gettysburg
    his unit were in many battles and he was killed at Little round top Gettysburg and is buried in the cemetery there.
    Dave

Default Re: Military history

Wow ! Well my grandad was a fireman on steamtrains in WW2 and was once strafed by the luftwaffe but NOTHING on the scale of your ancesters !

Cool post!

Hi relichunter,
    I think your grandad was pretty brave to be in the trains anyway, as to be strafed what a target to be in. I have done genealogy for years and have found some very good stories from my family, they go back before Hastings 1066, also the English and American civil wars, both W.W,s
    and some in between, so theres still alot to do. I thought it would start the ball rolling about the histories.
    Dave.

grndskeeper
    ?

Wow! I haven't gone as far back as that -- although I know my clan fought and fell at Culloden for Charles Edward Stuart.

As I've posted earlier, I had a relative fight with the Canadians at Ypres in WW1, and survived the war.

I also have a distant great uncle who flew a Bristol Blenheim with the RCAF in WW2. My dad has a picture of him standing in front of his plane taken during night-flight training in Canada. He went MIA in 1944 and was later reported KIA -- shot-down in April or May during a pre-invasion night mission "somewhere" over occupied France. To my knowledge, the crash site has never been identified, but the family suspects it was in the vicinity of Caen.