Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Military Shops in DDay/Arras areas ?

Article about: Afternoon Guys, hope everyone is well. I have some friends going over to Arras then back up to Bayeaux to check out the DDay beaches and they were asking me if I knew of anywhere they could

Default Military Shops in DDay/Arras areas ?

Afternoon Guys, hope everyone is well.
    I have some friends going over to Arras then back up to Bayeaux to check out the DDay beaches and they were asking me if I knew of anywhere they could buy relics. Not been there myself so does anyone know of any shops or mueseums in either areas which sell stuff ? Your help appreciated...
    All the best
    FW

Default Re: Military Shops in DDay/Arras areas ?

They could try St Mere Eglise the other side from Bayeux in the American sector it has a few shops selling stuff but beware of prices.Better bet and only a couple of miles down the road from Bayeux is Arromanches. There's a good shop, loads packed in it. Its back from the sea in the road leading from the car park. The shops like a museum.
    Hope they have a good trip.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Yep

One of the best places is indeed the shop Luckystrike mentions. It is almost directly opposite the museum at Arromanche. Last time I was there is was jammed with cartridges and helmets

A better bet BUT you'll have to trust to your luck is a carboot sale. They do have them in France and I once stumbled on one and found about 3 or 4 'boots' with decent relics on them. Unfortunately this was when I collected books not relics so I never bought anything !!!!!

Watch out for fakes......there are so called 'relic' shops selling shed loads of them.

Hope that helps

Steve T

PS Better still, why don't they take a metal detector and have a go on the beaches. Still plenty to be found on them.

Steve, Do they allow the use of a metal detector on the beaches? I'm starting to plan a trip there and if I can use my metal detector I'd love to bring it and try my luck. John

John

I have never had any problems and have been there 7 times now in the past 4 years.

AS far as I am aware, the laws regarding the use of metal detectors do NOT apply to beaches. I have seen many French locals on the beaches when I was there. I do sometimes 'stretch' the law and search on or just behind the dunes (e.g. at Omaha I found what appeared to be an area where a pile of ammunition went up with a bang....loads of blasted apart cartridges), but to be totally safe stick to the beaches.

Those near Courseulles and Arromanche have yielded good results as well as Omaha. There's lots of little dirt tracks leading to quiet sections of the beaches....use them instead of the main car parks.
    There's a nice one just down the road from Vierville.....Go to Vierville then take the road that sits next to the beach back towards Coleville.....you'll come to a large meorial to the Big Red one.....at this roundabout go LEFT behind some houses and you'll come to a car park just behind the dunes. Park up and get yourself in the dunes

Steve T

Thanks Steve, looking forward to the trip more than ever. Just one more thing I've learned on this great site. Thanks again, John

Hi,
    There is a good shop dowh one of the side streets in Arromanche
    for original pieces + relics, also the bunkers along Utah beach are good for digs. best of luck.
    dave

Many thanks for your advice guys, much appreciated. I will let you know how they get on.
    All the best
    FW

My friends returned last week from the France visit. They found the Arromanches shop which they said was great with loads of stuff for sale so its a good bet for anyone in the DDay areas.
    If you are going down towards the Western Front battle areas they came across a couple of kids selling stuff from a box at the Thiepval memorial, fuses, buttons, bullets etc. I suppose they must have got them from the woods, dangerous if they don`t know what they are handling but I guess we`d be doing the same if we lived there ( or keeping it ourselves more likely )
    Anyway, thanks for the shop advice, planning my next "Forest walk" for next Feb/March , will keep in touch.
    All the best
    FW