Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

More 8th airforce finds. you must look

Article about: Hi, wow ... all these items .... without even using a detector .... Any tips on finding a site like this? Presumably you found the site with a metal detector to begin with ...? Are you findi

Default Re: More 8th airforce finds. you must look

Hi, wow ... all these items .... without even using a detector .... Any tips on finding a site like this? Presumably you found the site with a metal detector to begin with ...? Are you finding any glassware / ceramics as well?

I look forward to you next post with great interest!!

Quote by gremlin View Post
    Hi, wow ... all these items .... without even using a detector .... Any tips on finding a site like this? Presumably you found the site with a metal detector to begin with ...? Are you finding any glassware / ceramics as well?

I look forward to you next post with great interest!!
    Hi Gremlin,
    I found the site because i got chatting with a local game keeper i know and he told me about the yanks dumping there rubbish in one of his woods.
    There is heaps of glass and & plates and all sorts!! The finds range from tooth brushes to plexi glass to dog tags you name it its there.
    My tip to anyone who comes across a rubbish dump is NOT just to roar into it.... Think about how your going to tackle it.!!! I dig for an hour then sieve the earth with an ordanery garden sieve. I find this is the only way to find the small things like dog tags & lieutenants bars. Doing this takes ages but is well worth it!! Allso allways try and leave a site clean so no one else finds it and disturbes the work you have done.!!! Im lucky on this site because no one will be given permission to dig there but i have found good spots on other air fields and not been so lucky and believe me its not a nice feeling to turn up in the morning with high hopes just to find some one has come along and broken glass bottles and just turned the ground over with out any care.

This has been laying on the side of my trench for about 2 years but thougt a couple of you might like to see it.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture More 8th airforce finds. you must look   More 8th airforce finds. you must look  

More 8th airforce finds. you must look   More 8th airforce finds. you must look  

More 8th airforce finds. you must look  

Very nice find ... I can feel myself turning green ... Thanks for posting the pics ... it will inspire me this weekend!

Gremlin

No problem. Hear is abit more inspiration for you.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture More 8th airforce finds. you must look  

Can someone out there tell me if this is a flare cartridge or a coffman cartridge used to start some aircraft engins? Iv found 1000s of these and allways thort they were flare gun cartridges but after reading another thread on hear im not so sure. They are about 1 and 3/4 inches wide and have cardbord inside. Thanks for your help.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture More 8th airforce finds. you must look   More 8th airforce finds. you must look  

More 8th airforce finds. you must look   More 8th airforce finds. you must look  

?

Here's the illustrations for the WWII US flare cartridges:

Check the dimensions, a flare case should be just over 1½" dia at the "mouth", just under 2" at the rim of the base.
    The majority of cases found on a WWII-only AAF station can be expected to be flares, as the aircraft almost always had electric starters.

TTFN,
    PB

Absolutely awesome finds, and without a detector as well, I can't believe the stuff you're finding in the UK, over here we often find waste pits at the sites of Field Hospitals, a lot of toothbrushes, razors, small kit, buttons etc... and always a lot of bottles, but rarely a dogtag, that's a great ite you've got there.

Steve

Quote by Steve83 View Post
    Absolutely awesome finds, and without a detector as well, I can't believe the stuff you're finding in the UK, over here we often find waste pits at the sites of Field Hospitals, a lot of toothbrushes, razors, small kit, buttons etc... and always a lot of bottles, but rarely a dogtag, that's a great ite you've got there.

Steve
    Thanks Steve,
    Funny i was just looking at your posts. Looks like you get bye ok without dog tags.Ha
    Iv got 58 now from that site and have managed to trace most of the men back. Sadly most of them went down and were POW of KIA. So these must have been second sets kept in there foot locker or something. Please look up my other posts to see more from the same site. My first post is quite good i think i called it "a years hard work has paid off"
    Andy

Hi Andy,

I'm slowly trawling my way through the pages of relics, I can't believe I haven't come across this website before. I'll have to have a look at your other threads, and get some more photos posted up on here!

Great stuff!!

Steve

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast