Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

More Airfield bits

Article about: Sounds worth a go Nick, it wasn't just WWIG who missed bits, the Mohawk dug back in the Eighties left 5 Brownings along with a lot of very interesting cockpit stuff. The gauge is one of the

?

Default Re: More Airfield bits

109s, now we're talking. In the meantime your sack full of 5c connectors awaits you. First batch of clean bits...

Ian, you need to convince the wife you need to invest in a dishwasher! what was the last item???

Sack full of connectors, i would sooner swop you for a big Mac, you better make that two i left shovel fulls buried. what happened to all the good bits !!

?

The two gauges are irradiating the local cats at the moment. That'll teach them for spraying in my garden.

Cleaned finds looking good i like the A.M marked stuff

?

Top right looks like the oxygen regulator gauge from a Mustang?

The plate is from a Defiant - dug in the 80s by a group who we have found several times in the past that they missed rather a lot - 2.5 tons of Spitfire in one instance! Looks like they ballsed up this one too now - Forster giving good readings until the rain got in the plugs and it refused to tune after that - approx half the identified impact area doesn't seem to have been dug - Bit of a gamble, but we'll never know if we don't give it a go.

Now an Me109 - that is something else! any room for another digger?
    Last edited by NickW; 01-19-2011 at 07:09 PM.

Well as they say, "thou shovel shall travel !!" especially for a battle of britain Me109 site

It wont be till late summer as it crashed into very soft marsh land and plus getting a bit of grief as its within a SSSI which i though was a Special Site of Second world war Interest !! , most likely underwater now and its on the south coast. The team always make room for a tea boy! will keep you posted via Ian

Very rare plate, found one on my defiant merin III engine, defiant sites are always worth investigating but sadly most down here are on hard ground. There is a very good one up north i know of deeply buried which really needs seeking permissions for a recovery, as i am sure i could get around the landowner for a joint dig subject to a licence granted.

Top picture second from left is an aircraft tail light,the number 5c/498
    should be on the lip where the glass mounts,failing that,there should
    be a makers name..rotax..perhaps...Fits Spitfire and others.
    You are doing a nice job of cleaning,not easy with bakelite.
    Regards Mike

Quote by fighterace View Post
    Well as they say, "thou shovel shall travel !!" especially for a battle of britain Me109 site

It wont be till late summer as it crashed into very soft marsh land and plus getting a bit of grief as its within a SSSI which i though was a Special Site of Second world war Interest !! , most likely underwater now and its on the south coast. The team always make room for a tea boy! will keep you posted via Ian

I live right on the south coast and would be intrested in watching or helping if you go for it

John

?

Thanks Gareth - I do make a good brew - especialy if I bring the Motorhome

Defiant is one of my favourites, though that big prop and all that weight behind will probably equal a very smashed Merlin. Would definitely be interested to hear more at some point.

Camper van, thats a bit up market. We tend to rough it out the night before which normally involes getting drunk, hopefully making the dig but have been known to miss one! plus a little refreshments on site

Nick Permissions about sorted today for SSSI which is good news for the me109, now just have to get around the next hurdles for some summer digging on a bob spitfire and bob hurricane site which lie on a sheduled monument and area of outstanding natural beauty. I can really pick um!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture More Airfield bits  

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast