Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My Crash Relic P38F-5 Propeller Blade-31st December 1944.

Article about: by alclark I posted on your other thread about this relic but thought it's probably better on this thread, I found the aircraft on the AAIR database with the following information: December

Default My Crash Relic P38F-5 Propeller Blade-31st December 1944.

Hi Guys,

As promised here's the first photo of the P38F-5 prope blade which i have just collected this evening and paid £100 for!!! Back in the 1980's the Severnside Aviation Society carried out a major dig on the crash site of Jack Tuggle Jameson's photo recce P38F-5. The aircraft had suffered a double engine failure and had crashed into a stream bed after taking off from Mount Farm-31st December 1944. Both engines were recovered along with most of the aircraft's remains. The remains of the pilot were also discovered and the dig was halted until all of the remains of the unfortunate pilot were removed for burial with full military honors. This is a very sound piece and much of the black paint and yellow tip is present. I have yet to clean it up properly and look for any markings and this i will do tommorow. This thing weighs a fair bit at over 58lbs! Had a fair old job getting it up into the attic bedroom!! This prop blade has been in a garden shed for the last 20 years as the original owner and finder of this piece Andy "Badger" Long explained. What a great guy though letting me have this piece at such a good price and he threw in some other very interesting pieces too. Andy is a friend of a friend but i will certainly be seeing more of him in the future and it just shows sometimes the best way to find 'gold' like this is by word of mouth! Hope everyone likes this item as much as i do.

Cheers Loads, Tim.

Default Re: My Crash Relic P38F-5 Propeller Blade-31st December 1944.

Hi Tim, nice bit of kit and a great peice of history.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Wow! Impressive piece of History! Great piece!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I love it Tim!!!
    One of the things I would love to have for my collection is a prop blade. Well done mate.

Andy

That will make a fantastic display centrepiece and to know so much about the background of the particular aircraft, the pilot and their fate really brings it's history to life. Great price too!

Quote by Falschirmjager View Post
    Hi Guys,

As promised here's the first photo of the P38F-5 prope blade which i have just collected this evening and paid £100 for!!! Back in the 1980's the Severnside Aviation Society carried out a major dig on the crash site of Jack Tuggle Jameson's photo recce P38F-5. The aircraft had suffered a double engine failure and had crashed into a stream bed after taking off from Mount Farm-31st December 1944. Both engines were recovered along with most of the aircraft's remains. The remains of the pilot were also discovered and the dig was halted until all of the remains of the unfortunate pilot were removed for burial with full military honors. This is a very sound piece and much of the black paint and yellow tip is present. I have yet to clean it up properly and look for any markings and this i will do tommorow. This thing weighs a fair bit at over 58lbs! Had a fair old job getting it up into the attic bedroom!! This prop blade has been in a garden shed for the last 20 years as the original owner and finder of this piece Andy "Badger" Long explained. What a great guy though letting me have this piece at such a good price and he threw in some other very interesting pieces too. Andy is a friend of a friend but i will certainly be seeing more of him in the future and it just shows sometimes the best way to find 'gold' like this is by word of mouth! Hope everyone likes this item as much as i do.

Cheers Loads, Tim.
    Here's some more pictures just taken. The pieces are a section from the undercarriage of Jack Jameson's P38-this piece is stamped "ALCO" (American Locomotive Company) and serial numbered 225249. The other parts are what appear to be plated steel rings which came from the base of the propeller blade and also another part from the base of the prop blade. Also me with Andy "Badger" Long who was involved in the recovery of this P38 and who had these relics in his storage unit for the past 20 years! Regards, Tim.Attachment 323770Attachment 323767Attachment 323766Attachment 323765

Very cool piece, fantastic find.
    Lucky guy.
    Cheers.
    Nuno

I posted on your other thread about this relic but thought it's probably better on this thread, I found the aircraft on the AAIR database with the following information:

December 31st, 1943
    F-5A 42-13322
    22nd PRS / 7th PRG
    Home Station 234
    8th AF
    KCR 5 (translates to fatal crash, category 5 damage)
    Jamison, Jack T
    ENG Charmy/ 4 1/2mi SW

Also worth checking is this thread from the Key forum, Halifax EB146 crash April 1944 - Key Publishing Ltd Aviation Forums, especially post 14.

The aircraft was a factory built as an F-5A-10-LO, which was a P-38G with no armament.

Just spoke with my Dad who was with the 13th PRS/7th PG at Mount Farm and he spoke of Jack as a "good kid". He said they met about 2 weeks before he transferred to the 9th AAF 109th PRG and went to Belgium on D+6.
    Dad was a PIO (Photo Intel Officer) for the 7th PG and did the same for the 109thPRG during the push across Belgium, France and Germany. His new outfit flew P-47's , P-51's and a few Spitfires. They were responsible for all the "over the horizon" intel during the invasion.

I'm amazed Dad remembered his time at Mount Farm. He is now 96 and his memory is failing but when I showed him the post and said Jack Jamison, his face lit up and the clouds of time parted for a few minutes.

Thanks Falsirmjager! You gave me and my Dad a nice Saturday afternoon! There haven't been many of those of late.

Quote by mr.dirt View Post
    Just spoke with my Dad who was with the 13th PRS/7th PG at Mount Farm and he spoke of Jack as a "good kid". He said they met about 2 weeks before he transferred to the 9th AAF 109th PRG and went to Belgium on D+6.
    Dad was a PIO (Photo Intel Officer) for the 7th PG and did the same for the 109thPRG during the push across Belgium, France and Germany. His new outfit flew P-47's , P-51's and a few Spitfires. They were responsible for all the "over the horizon" intel during the invasion.

I'm amazed Dad remembered his time at Mount Farm. He is now 96 and his memory is failing but when I showed him the post and said Jack Jamison, his face lit up and the clouds of time parted for a few minutes.

Thanks Falsirmjager! You gave me and my Dad a nice Saturday afternoon! There haven't been many of those of late.
    This has made my day and thank you so much for posting this up. This is what makes researching the air war of WW2 so rewarding and thanks again. I hope to get a photo of this brave pilot to add to this thread soon. Best Regards, Tim.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast