Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My find, of glass bottles...anyone know anything in particluar?

Article about: Thanks DonB....i have since these, also found more!! i would be very interested, in what they originally contained!..out of interest, where would i start, in trying to find this information

ukgal
    ?

Default My find, of glass bottles...anyone know anything in particluar?

hi there
    my find today, from ww1, and ww2 army camp site....does anyone have any information regarding, any of them?...do they have a link with the army??...or just general glass bottles!, some have screw caps, and a couple with no screw tops!

kind regards
    Gina
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My find, of glass bottles...anyone know anything in particluar?  

ukgal
    ?

Default Re: My find, of glass bottles...anyone know anything in particluar?

Hi ukgal. Gina, Interesting finds but I think the earliest bottle you found is the wide mouth milk bottle, these are now collectable in there own right especially if they have the name of a local dairy embossed on them. This type of bottle dates from the 1930's and 40's and therefore is the correct period for WW2. I have found many similar ones over the years on military tips. The other bottles I would say are more likely 50's or even later. But if you found these on the surface then try digging down where they came from because more and probably earlier finds will be below.
    All the best.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

ukgal
    ?

Thanks Adrian!..i shall go back tomorrow!..and have a dig,..when we came across them, we did run the MD over the area, and it never picked anything up!..but shall go back for a dig!

while we were over there, we came across something, and dug down, and hit what seemed to be corragated iron roofing!...quite large in area.....could this be a underground room??? it was about 2-3 foot, before we hit the roofing!

thanks for all your help, and information, Adrian..thanks again
    Gina

Jan
    ?

Those are items typically found in the topsoil. They look really new to me.

Rgds Jan

Hi Gina,
    Thanks for your reply, I'm surprised you didn't pick up any signals with your MD because the bottle lids are metal as is the corrugated iron. Remember to always turn the discrimination down to enable you to get signals from iron and steel.
    Well done on digging down 2 or 3 feet this is a good level and shows stuff is at that depth. When a dump was finished it was often back filled and covered over by a layer of soil. I've found this layer can be as little as just 10cm or 1 or even occasionally 2 metres so patience sometimes required. If the soil is quite loose to dig and dark then its likely a dump if its very compacted and hard to dig then it might be the natural level. Look out for elder trees usually quite twisted around and not too tall with rough grooved knobbly bark, these type trees love dump sites because of the nutrient rich soil. For the summer a couple of other plants to look out for are clumps of nettles and also Japanese bind weed both can indicate a site.
    Reaching the corrugated iron you may have just hit the top of the dumping level. As you probably know, It was a universally used product both domestically and militarily. In the past I have found slit trenches that are lined with corrugated iron, dug outs with a corrugated iron roof with soil on top. air raid shelters. But it was also often used in farming for roofing, lean to's, sheds etc etc.
    The only way to find out if it is a structure or perhaps the top of a dump is to dig along its surface until you find an end, then see if you can raise it a little to see what's underneath? But please be careful rusty corrugated iron can be razor sharp so wear gardening gloves.
    Looking forward to the next instalment
    Good Luck.
    Adrian aka LUCKYSTRIKE

Hi Gina, I was once told that old glass bottles and jars have a seam running down the side, where as more modern production will have a seam around the bottom.

Cheers, Ade.

ukgal
    ?

thanks guys for your replies!!
    Gina
    x

Gina

Have you had a look on google earth at your site ?

This is usually my second step in my research of a site (the first being finding it !!! ), and helps identify key search areas. It is especially useful if buildings have been demolished as you can often see the outline of foundations/roads/runways etc in the vegetation that covers the site.

The best places I have found to search are not perhaps where you would think. In between buildings and up against walls yields many finds, as does searching a short walking distance from major buildings. Recreation areas or exercise yards are also good. The best thing I can tell you to do is, firstly, imagine what the place looked like 65 years ago. Were those trees there ? Those bushes ? That fence ? Secondly, where would YOU go to have a sit down and chat with your friends, if you worked/lived in the building? The sunny/shady spot now was the sunny/shady spot back then !

Hope this helps

Steve T

PS One more area to search. Take a brightly coloured jam jar sized object with you, (I use a lump of wood painted white ), stand on top of a building and throw it as though you were chucking a piece of rubbish out of sight of your sergeant. Search the area where it lands. This is where I find most of my old toiletry tubes etc....

?

As it happens, I used to collect old bottles.
    I still have several hundred, all researched & labelled. (Kept me busy in my teenage years!)

Some of those in your pic look familiar; I shall try and locate my file and hopefully I'll be able to identify what they once contained!

Whatever you do, DON'T throw them away/ recycle them! Even relatively new (i.e. 20-30 years old) bottles and jars are rapidly becoming collectable.

Don

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast