Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

My find, of glass bottles...anyone know anything in particluar?

Article about: Thanks DonB....i have since these, also found more!! i would be very interested, in what they originally contained!..out of interest, where would i start, in trying to find this information

ukgal
    ?

Default Re: My find, of glass bottles...anyone know anything in particluar?

Thanks DonB....i have since these, also found more!!
    i would be very interested, in what they originally contained!..out of interest, where would i start, in trying to find this information out!??
    kindest regards
    Gna

Hi Gina,
    Well done with your digging, you never know what'll turn up next. But as well as the military dumping their waste, there's also the chance that the local residents may have used the site. Especially if it was a convenient place fairly near to their homes meaning they didn't have to carry it too far but it was far enough away that any summer smell would not reach them! You'll have to keep digging and from your finds we should be able to deduce whether it's domestic or military.
    I've also been a bottle collector for many years but have only recently started seeking out the old Military dumps using experience Ive built up finding the old bottle tips.
    From experience I'd say that most of your bottles are probably WW2 dated or perhaps even the 1950's they're all machine made but as I said earlier keep digging because the site could have been used over several decades (the earliest stuff will be the deepest) but there's a good chance of some interesting finds.
    For your interest I attach a link to the Bottle Digging UK forum Bottle Digging UK You'll have to register to get in but they can provide any information you require on bottles. If you do register have a look at the digging section because seeing the finds they've made will make you want to get out and searching. Very occasionally someone digs a Military tip, I remember stories that many were dug around Aldershot in the 1990's, but these were mainly Victorian Empire tips with a few of WW1 vintage.
    Keep up the good work.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

?

Hello again, Gina!

I'm still looking for that file! However, while I'm searching, you might find these sites to be of interest:

Unique Bottles

Antique Bottles Haven

The Bottle Dump

Don

ukgal
    ?

Thanks both to DonB, and LUCKYSTRIKE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2