Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My finds, from a disused pit!,..any info would be great!??

Article about: Hi peeps! found the disused pit,on army ground, i have been meaning to look for, unfortunatly, i only just found it before i had to leave for school run...so only dug a wee bit! anyway found

ukgal
    ?

Default My finds, from a disused pit!,..any info would be great!??

Hi peeps!
    found the disused pit,on army ground, i have been meaning to look for, unfortunatly, i only just found it before i had to leave for school run...so only dug a wee bit!
    anyway found these bits!
    be great if anyone could give me any info, time scale etc!..one thing with the thread bit, needs identifying!..and i havent seen these types of bullets before on this land!!
    thanks guys!
    Gina

3mk
    ?

Default Re: My finds, from a disused pit!,..any info would be great!??

Hey there,
    The oval shaped thing is placed under uniform buttons to clean them with out runing the fabric,I think this is from World War 2 or early post-war.

The shell casings look to be 7.62 X 54R (or at least the left one does).

ukgal
    ?

Quote by soalebm View Post
    The shell casings look to be 7.62 X 54R (or at least the left one does).
    hi thanks...when were they used??..ww1 or ww2?..or both!??
    kind regards
    Gina

They were for the Russian Mosin Nagant among other light weapons and they were the standard military round for the Red Army from before WWI and until the 7.62 X 39 AK-47 and SKS round knocked it from favor. It is still used for the sniper rifles and things like that. I'm sure someone ho knows could tell the era it is from based on the primer or the case itself.

Hi I am assuming you found these in the UK, therefore I think the Brass cases are 303 caliber. I agree with 3mk that metal with the slit in the middle is for cleaning brass uniform buckles, buttons and collar dogs. I also think that the bottle on the left is for brylcream It's embossed on it, by the look of it.

ukgal
    ?

Default !

yes , sorry, i should have said, candians set up camp here in hampshire, during ww1, and ww2!..was trying to work out which ww, they came from?
    thanks guys for your replies!
    Gina
    x

Hi Gina,
    Congratulations on your latest finds, it looks like you've got a good site there, Im looking forward to seeing what you recover in the future.

If you clean the bottom of the cartridges you should see the date of their manufacture which should be stamped onto them either as a four digit 1942 or two digit 42. There'll also be the manufactures code so you'll be able to find out where they were made.
    If you clean up the uniform protector, these were usually made of brass and have various markings stamped into them. I'd also recommend you try cleaning the underside of the spoons (brillos are good) because if they're WD (War Dept) they'll have a crows foot stamp and also the date of manufacture. If you're lucky you may also find on the top of the handle other markings, sometimes they're embossed with Regimental, RAF or Air Minstry coats of arms or even the Army/Service numbers of the users.
    Perhaps your threaded find is some type of air valve maybe from a tyre or life or even life presever jacket.
    Good luck with your next search.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

UKgal

Clean up the base of the cartridges and you'll be able to ID them very easily using the sticky thread in the ordnance and ammo forum on headstamps. I would suspect they are WW2. The spoons may have markings on the top of the handle. Clean them carefully and one may well appear. The brass thingy next to the button cleaner is a clip from a standard belt to hold the loose bit of 'belt' in place once threaded through the buckle.

Cheers

Steve T

Oh I'm so used to everyone digging on the eastern front I didn't even notice you are in the UK. Yeah those are not 7.62 then I'm Sorry .303 is what they have to be then. Maybe I'll pay attention next time!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast