Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

My First day detecting and wow , some amazing finds, help needed on I.D

Article about: Thanks for that Steve. I am bran new at ordinance so you will have to excuse my ignorance to the bullet types . Will clean up it up tomorrow and report back !!

?

Default My First day detecting and wow , some amazing finds, help needed on I.D

Hi guys

My Father and I went off today using his metal detector on an old WW2 Airfield . Apparently there were typhoons and Spitfires here during the war but I am going to do more research on that tonight

What we found within 4 hours was staggering, If anyone could help me on what some of the items were that would be great

I have three 20mm casings all of which are stamped 1942. with the letters NECO on them

I have what I think may be a 303 casing.

Some electrical connectors ???

A LARGE electrical junction box? The brass plaque says date 1939 on the front and REIVO? or something like that

Also a smaller electrical box with the number 134630-500 and a wiring diagram inside
    I found 2 LIVE rounds which were smaller than 20mm ones but still bigger than rifle ones, Once I got the info off them I buried them back down in the soil , They had S L and 43 on them if I read them right. they are too big for a rifle

Also I found a Bakelite cap with a thread inside which says "INS" 9

3 of these threaded things which have 2 holes on the side . A detonator??

A heavy but small metal piece with holes in the side and partially threaded inside

A projectile from a bullet the same size as the LIVE one that I found
    And what appears to be a gas Hob ring?? this is very large.

Am just washing them and will upload the cleaned pics in a moment......

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/album.php?albumid=1167

PLEASE HAVE A LOOK THERE ARE 4 PAGES

Thanks

Jim
    Last edited by Gouldy; 05-04-2013 at 09:06 PM.

Default Re: My First day detecting and wow , some amazing finds, help needed on I.D

Okey dokey....let's see if we can help here.

The bakelite cap looks like the cap off a No. 69 grenade. Your large calibre round is a .50 calibre, manufactured in St Louis, USA in 1943. Your two pronged electrical item that looks like a plug is a connector from a air-fired 60lb rocket (the one with the knurled bottom and small nut at the top, not the one with the big nut). In the picture with the 303 cartridge and the 50cal projectile, the black tip denotes an armour piercing round which is, I'm afraid to say, illegal to possess. I think you may have the inside from a door lock mechanism and some other 'domestic' bits.

That was a very brief look. I'll look better in the morning but other guys will chip in I'm sure.

?

Default Re: My First day detecting and wow , some amazing finds, help needed on I.D

Wow that's a load of info already!! Thanks so much. So is the projectile illegal to have even though its not with a casing?? Seems odd lol

Quote by Gouldy View Post
    ?.....So is the projectile illegal to have even though its not with a casing?? Seems odd lol
    I'm afraid so yes. Covered in section 5 of the firearms act.

I'll ID some more stuff tomorrow when I have a longer look at the pics

?

Ok mate. Will ditch it then if it might cause issues

Oh, just one other thing. Pet hate of mine (and others on the forum)...........

**** pedant mode engaged ****

Cartridge = the brass or steel (and sometimes other materials) 'container' that holds the propellent charge.

Bullet = the thing that comes out of the barrel when a weapon is fired

Round = a cartridge and bullet when still 'joined' together

Here endeth the lesson.......

Disengage pedant mode.

?

Hahahahaha ok.

i wouldnt ditch it nobody will come looking for it !! and it is a neat item just dont sell it and put it away nobody will bother you !

Please don't advise members to keep an illegal item. An AP bullet is an illegal item. Simple as.

?

I wouldn't bother. It's not worth getting into trouble for it .

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast