Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

My 'little' site in Oxford

Article about: Cant wait to see.....

?

Default Re: My 'little' site in Oxford

Good luck with it , stay safe cheers Dave

Hello,

Looks like you have found a good site. Looking forward to seeing what you find next.

I would love to see pictures of the other coins you found

John

Okey dokey, heres some of the other coins...

I need to take some more photos of the coins. Theres loads now, and i have just been chucking them all in a pile. They really need sorting, there's just so many. Funny thing is, when Jay and me got to my site on Sunday, he found a rifle head. I said "don't find many of those here, its all coins, you'll see" then we found no coins (except a 1p and a 2p) and loads of heads!

But, if your a coin man and are after anything in particular, let me know. As nice as they are, they don't hold that much interest. Although I do love my cartwheel penny
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My 'little' site in Oxford   My 'little' site in Oxford  

I love the old coins! I wouldn't mind having a few!

?

Hi all
    just cleaning a few of the items will post up a few pics in the morning !

quickly!!! "need" to see what you got.

One of my .303 is another Canadian made one marked 'DC' haven't checked the others properly yet. I know theres some Winchester Reapeting Arms Co, but some odd ones I need to look up.

Hi DM and JH

Sorry I've not replied sooner.....I've been in bed with a nasty bug of some sorts. Have no recollection of ANYTHING I have done for the last 2 days

Oh well...all better now

The pieces of grenade you have are quite a common find on old ranges and are indeed the bottom piece of the striker column and fuse column. I've attached some pictures of a my cut through No 36 so you can see it in situ, along with a picture of a complete column I found on an old airbase, (No.....I have NO idea what it was doing there !!). The pieces you have are the bottom 'anvil' area, as described by Dave. If you can image this bottom section 'blown up' you will see what I mean. Indeed, in one of your pieces you even have the bottom piece of striker

Cheers

Steve T
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My 'little' site in Oxford   My 'little' site in Oxford  

Sorry to hear you haven't been feeling great matey. Me too but not as bad as you from the sounds of it.

I understand the fuse column pieces, I can see these in the photos and the cut outs pics Which I still say look now like little French helmets but the other bits still confuse me a bit (I must be being daft again) I just don't get the anvil part. Although I think I know what bit you mean with the striker on it. Is this anvil not in the picture of the cut-away

Sorry for being very confused about these anvils... I know I can be hard work

DM

?

A couple of photos of my dummy fuze showing the top and bottom of the anvil, with the .22 percussion cap in the centre:

The slotted underside is visible in a number of your photos, merged with the striker/fuze column castings.

Hope that helps,
    PB

Thanks guys that really helped. Nice pics btw all.

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast