Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast

My 'little' site in Oxford

Article about: Cant wait to see.....

Default Re: My 'little' site in Oxford

Ah yeah the coins. Well, not a great day for coins. We found a few multisided thrup-penny bits. A few half pennys... but these I'm sure Jay thinks were never going to reveal any info as they were as flat and as smooth as washers (without the hole ofc). but after a few soaks in magic water and a little rubbing! They just about revealed 2 King George VI's, King George V 1921 and a King Eddy VII. But these where terrible... unable to get dates from 3 of them... poor old things

Even the half crown was very pitted and worn.

Those 9mm's came out better and better after each soak... but its a really messy way I'm cleaning cartridges and gotta find a nice way to clean them. Problem is, my way is effortless and I like effortless I'm sure they could be made a lot nice, giving a bit of effort.

Does anyone know what that head is though? No one is answering my question

I do love that pommel though

?

when i get five minutes i will clean mine up! the 2 mills bases i found came up fantasticly with a bit of elbow grease one dated 40 and the other 41 which is cool! cant wait to get back over there and as to you "owning" the site i might well take up squatters rights lol

ha ha ha ha. Elbow grease! pah... let them sit in warm water, then brush of the crud. soak them in magic spray for 30 mins or until the viakal goes green from the crap (Viakal) then rub it all over with a scourer gently. Sometimes things that are really bad need a couple of soaks. Easy! Also, its effortless

Any manufactures marks on the mills base nuts. If so, let me know and I will tell you who made them.

All those 9mm's were dated 1943 and marked BE for the Royal Ordnance Factory, Blackpole, UK

.....and if soaking and/or elbow grease doesn't get them clean, bung a wire brush attachment on your electric drill and go at them with that. Works a treat for those stubborn stains.

Just remember to hold on to the nut TIGHTLY or put it in a clamp. I was cleaning a spent 303 cart with this method a year or so back. I'd got the drill clamped sideways in a Black & Decker workmate, and was brushing stuff in the back garden. Anyway, I got a little complacent, put a 303 cartridge into the path of the wire brush, wasn't holding it well enough, drill snatched it out of my hand and it flew over the fence into the next door but one's garden Ever tried knocking on someone's door and saying 'Excuse me mister. Can I have my bullet back please ?' ......... doesn't get a good response normally

Laters

Steve T

PS A dremel tool works as well and is less dangerous

Ha ha ha ha... even my wife laughed at 'Excuse me mister. Can I have my bullet back please ?'

Yeah, never got that carried away with the clean to go as far as wire brushes.... I have a pneumatic sander at work that runs off a massive and powerful compressor... I was thinking, once a sanding pad is worn right down, that could be a great way to clean them, but not tried yet.

Quote by dangermouse View Post
    H.... I have a pneumatic sander at work that runs off a massive and powerful compressor.......
    You haven't got a sandblaster at work as well have you ? Now there's one bit of kit I would LOVE to have a go at some of my relics with.....

?

one has aw stamped on it?
    another has wd and rsc? and the 3rd one ( i found on the first visit )has ml any ideas?

AW No. 36M Mk. I Acme Wringers Glasgow
    WD = War Dept
    RSC? Sure its nor PSC (PSC No. 34 Mk. III, No. 36 Parkinson Stone Co. Ltd.)

not sure who ML is matey?

Sorry Steve no sandblaster... but we are looking into getting a shot-blasting cabinet. So that might be something that you could play with if we do get one.

Quote by dangermouse View Post
    ... but we are looking into getting a shot-blasting cabinet. So that might be something that you could play with if we do get one.
    Oh YEAH ! I'd love a go with one of those

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast