Display your banner here
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

My 'little' site in Oxford

Article about: Cant wait to see.....

Default Re: My 'little' site in Oxford

Quote by Whitehunter View Post
    Oh i'm still waiting to see pictures of the silver pocket watch

John
    Oh yeah ! Forgot all about that. Me to......

Steve T

Hi John,

I love that Jimmy 1 coin. Half crown is 1920. Had a electrolysis session last night and cleaned a load of coins up, I got a bit of a back log! But, it came up a lot nicer and clearer too.

Does anyone now what the cap badge is? I guess its something Canadian Armoured, but is that it? Or is it something more unusual.

Grenade scared me when I first saw it as I couldn't see the missing base plug, but once I saw it was missing I was so happy! I showed my best mate when he popped round last night and his words summed up my thoughts when I first saw it in the ground "Your funking nuts digging stuff like that up!"

Ooooops, memory doing well again. Will try and remember to take pics of the pocket watch when I get home today. Sorry

And yeah! I look forward to it too. Probably next Sunday (24th).

DM

Quote by dangermouse View Post
    Hi John,
    "Your funking nuts digging stuff like that up!"

DM
    Everyone seems to say that to me as well

Quote by dangermouse View Post
    Hi John,

"Your funking nuts digging stuff like that up!
    Me to, especially when I show people the two 25 pounder base ejecting smoke rounds that I dragged home with me from the gunnery range

Steve T

Some how I have completely forgotten to post pics of the last dig me and Jay went on. Although this was about 2 weeks, still lacking photos from Jay!!! Jay was only there for half the day as he had to go early for something more 'normal' than diggin up scrap Good day again, check the photos. I have spent many hours the last few days cleaning up all the bits that I have been neglecting to either clean properly and the all the many many cartridges that just get dumped in a washing up bowl of water to soak. They had been in there about 2 months! How excited was I to find that there was a .45 cartridge buried in amongst all those nasty post war .303's. I cleaned all the 40 odd .303's and got about 10 wartime and a few odd ones that I will need to ID. As they are just odd. Also got a couple with two war dept arrows on each? Why stamp it twice? Boredom? I seem to be getting some more 'DC' made ammo which is nice as it a Canadian firm, which again all ties in with the theme of my site. Anyways, enough rambling... on with the pic (once I remember how to do this again)

Also a couple of pics of all my base nuts, filler caps and inside thingy springy indentated bits

DM
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My 'little' site in Oxford   My 'little' site in Oxford  

My 'little' site in Oxford   My 'little' site in Oxford  

My 'little' site in Oxford  

Superb collection of base nuts DM, and that half a grenade is just awesome !

Let me have details of the headstamps of the 'odd' 303's and I'll see if I can ID them for you.

Cheers

Steve T

I am pretty sure that your badge is for the Canadian Essex regiment,google them up, plenty of info there, John.

?

DM , if you dont know already the "springy thingy" is the shaft that flys down into the grenade, strikes the igniter fuse, and bang a few seconds later, the handle spoon holds it in place until the pin is pulled, released from the hand the spoon flys off and then as above.

Quote by davejb View Post
    DM , if you dont know already the "springy thingy" is the shaft that flys down into the grenade, strikes the igniter fuse, and bang a few seconds later, the handle spoon holds it in place until the pin is pulled, released from the hand the spoon flys off and then as above.
    he he, yeah I knew that, I just couldn't give it a better name when trying to describe it Can clearly be seen in my 3!!! Mills that I found there, all not been thrown, in various conditions. Also after cleaning them for many many hours with hammers, chisels, wire brushes, screwdrivers, brillo pads, files, etc... I have found some manf latters, the first being a nice easy one to ID. A big 'C' for Chatco the Canadian company and the other confuses me some what and I cant ID it. I only have the last two letters out of 3, so it would be "? Y F". Very chuffed with the Chatco one... More Canadian bits WOOP WOOP

wooohoooo... thats amazing. Thanks, I couldn't find a pic of that anywhere. ESSEX wtf

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast