Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

My 'little' site in Oxford

Article about: Cant wait to see.....

?

Default Re: My 'little' site in Oxford

That Canadian Tank badge is interesting...what is on the ribbon on the bottom,
    Looks to be a collar badge to the Essex Regt ( Tank)

Great finds!!!!!

Off to Flanders this Morning...Hate those 8 hour flights from Canada to France!!!!

Dean

It read "semper paratus"

Have fun in Flanders "Okily dokily!"

okey dokey. I haven't cleaned much, but I did the important bits. Checked all the .303 for dates to get rid of the nasty post war trash... normally about 1 in 5 is wartime, but today seems that 1 in 5 is postwar happy days. Also had 3x 30.06, sadly though two are completely rotten, but the other is RA(Remington Armories) (19)28. About 8 base nuts and one has a manf 'SDR'

Base nut tally x12. Sadly thought, mosts are duplicates of manufactures I already have bar two but, at least I got to more. For the base nut peeps out there. They are as follows.

REVO (Revo Electric Co Ltd) 1940
    AW (Acme Wringers) 1941 LOVE THE NAME
    TA&S (T.* Adshead & Sons) 1942 and 1943
    JH (John Harper, Willenhall) 1940
    K (A Kenrick & Sons) 1942
    JP&S (Joseph Parkes & Sons) 1942
    PSC (Parkinson Stone Co. Ltd.) 1940
    SDR (Strebor Die-Casting Co Ltd) 3/42 1942
    No Manf Just a long 'l' 1940
    No Manf Odd font never seen before, dated 1942
    No Manf yet perfect condition dated 11/43

If anyone wants to play swopsies for different manfs, let me know, would love to get as many as I can... (yes I'm strangely obsessed with these things)

DM

Me and John may be able to help you. John got 19 base nuts, I got 22

Pics to follow.....

Steve T

WoW... between you two, you almost got as many yesterday as I had in total. STOP IT!!!

Yay, please let me know what manf's you found and I will let you know if your lucky enough to find one I haven't got. I have an excel spreadsheet listing all my manf'ed nade parts. From filler cap, base nuts and a couple of bodies. EXCITED NOW!!!

DM

Oops. Sorry I miscounted.

I've got 26 Some got mistaken for a squashed 'French Helmet'.

I still win Pictures to follow tomorrow.

Steve T

good... even a better chance you got some manf's haven't got yet then

DM

My pics to follow later too... busy

Hi dan i will get all mine clean and let you know which ones i have

Okey Dokey............

On Sunday, Dangermouse and his site were descended on by myself, Jayh, Whitehunter and LUCKYSTRIKE. We came armed with MDs, spades, sandwiches, cans of pop and, in one case, an axe, (don't ask).

Arriving at the site at 9am, we spent the next 7 hours searching for stuff from the old range and camp that made up DM's site. The area was hilly, wooded, thick with brambles and nettles, but otherwise relatively undisturbed since the 1940s. We all had a great time and would like to thank DM for hosting the first 'unofficial' get together of the WW2 Relic retrieval and Preservation Group (RRPG).

To find out more about the site, and where it was, you need to become a member of the group ! PM me for details

An unspoken competition also took place, with the winner being the one who found the most Mills base nuts. Current leader is......ME ! ...... but we're yet to get a tally from Jayh and LUCKYSTRIKE.

Here we go with my finds.

Before cleaning.

This is a picture shown after a 'pre-clean'. You can see the dental de-scalers I use to do this on the tray. Removing all the chunks of mud from inside cartridges and cavities of things such as base nuts makes 'wet' cleaning easier.

First up cartridges. 303s. Thirty of them I only had 3 post war ones. All the ones shown have WW2 headstamps

A few spent 303s

Some spent 45s, a 9mm and a 30cal M1 round

Now a group shot of everything else I found on the day 26 base nuts in total

We were getting fed up of these things and changed from calling them 'French Helmets' to 'Bellends' by the end of the day Each one is the bottom portion of the fuse column from a Mills.

I find a few coins, some of which were modern. These weren't

And now, just for Dangermouse, close up of all 26 base nuts. Hopefully I will have one of the manufacturers DM is missing from his collection !

Second batch

Last lot, including 3 filler nuts from the top of a Mills.

I was surprised to find this. A complete internal column from a Mills. I am yet to decide whether it was used as a demonstration piece by the trainers, or if it somehow survived the explosion of a thrown Mills. Your views would be appreciated !

It appears to have the remains of the brown varnish they used, and appears in remarkable condition if it did survive an explosion. Even the striker is still in place in the column, along with the spring

Another nice find was this American pineapple grenade top. The firing arm spring is still in place. A good find and a contender for 'best find of the day', (although I think the item WH and LS found may top this).

Lastly, a 2inch mortar fin, with paint and markings still visible. It is dated 1940 and was another great find

And that's it from me for the day.

Thanks again DM !

Steve T

Hi Steve,
    A good selection and a large amount of finds, they've cleaned up very well. Nice pictures, thanks to Dan for the invite to his great site.
    You put me to shame because my finds are still waiting to be cleaned but I'll start on it soon, I found a lot less so it shouldn't take me too long

May be you didn't notice WH email last night, he miscounted his base nuts, some where covered in muck and he thought they were filler caps etc. He actually got 26 so it looks like the crown will be going to him.
    Cheers
    LS

Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast