Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

My trip to the Ostfront

Article about: by Scout No, it wouldnt. They are live and potentially unstable. I shudder at the thought, of a grenade detonating in the hands of a digger in the middle of a dense hard-to-get-to wooded are

?

Default Re: My trip to the Ostfront

Quote by don_kihotis7 View Post
    We are still on the Grenadier Hill.
    The 1st photo shows the area were a lot of bunkers were established. The area was called the hell hole.
    We found an oiling can for MG42, a cigarette rolling case and a smoke grenade.
    The last photo shows a place next to the Grenadier Hill were a German officer won his RK. But i will need Paul's assistance to get this story. Sorry folks my memory is not so great
    You got some great photos Chris , whilst i was talking !! the cornfield is the site of the RK action of Panzerjager SS Sturmann Remy Schrynen of the SS Sturmbriade " Langemark ", here he singly knocked out 12 Soviet tanks with his PAK 75 !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Thanks for the replies guys. It was for sure an amazing trip.
    Paul feel free to amend any of my posts, since you can label the photos better than me.
    Especially regarding the story with the RK winner (i can't remember his name) , opposite grenadier hill.

Edit: thanks Paul, i saw your reply with the name and info after i posted mine.
    Last edited by don_kihotis7; 10-17-2012 at 08:53 PM.
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

Nice photos! Remi Schrijnen passed away in 2006, i'm not sure if he visited battlefields near Narva or not but many of his comerades have done it. I got recently a e-mail from a forum member who visited Narva and Tannenberg Stelle this with a 93-year old Rgt. Danmark vet. And the last of 4 Estonians who got the Ritterkreuz - Harald Nugiseks - is still in good health. He got his Ritterkreuz during the battles in Narva river area in 1944. It is nice to see that there are so many people who are interested in our history.

?

Quote by Frundsberg View Post
    Nice photos! Remi Schrijnen passed away in 2006, i'm not sure if he visited battlefields near Narva or not but many of his comerades have done it. I got recently a e-mail from a forum member who visited Narva and Tannenberg Stelle this with a 93-year old Rgt. Danmark vet. And the last of 4 Estonians who got the Ritterkreuz - Harald Nugiseks - is still in good health. He got his Ritterkreuz during the battles in Narva river area in 1944. It is nice to see that there are so many people who are interested in our history.
    I visited Remy twice and spoke to him about the exact place he won his RK ! As Chris posts more photos we will see the location where Lars 93 year old Danish veteran fought and where Harald Nugiseks won his RK at Riigi , we also covered the locations where Paul Maitla and Harald Riipalu won the RK and where Georg Sooden was Killed in action !!

For me the Narva Front and it's history is the most interesting Battlefield
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Nice pictorial.
    I got pics of pretty much the same angles from my several visits there.
    Incredible how much hardware is still on and in the ground there.
    i couldnt believe how much we found off the beaten track/in the woods, but then on one trip we did spend several days there.

Wow a lot of rusty shit, as Paul was saying
    I really like that huge mortar round. I found several for sale and also very cheap, on my last day in Tallinn at the Kurtna fare, but couldn't buy and put them in my luggage.

?

Yes, we found several of those. Huge mothers!
    Loads and loads of live ordnance - ammo and grenades.
    We literally shoveled the stuff out of holes.

Sooden is buried in Jõhvi, near the church and as I remembered his bunker got a direct hit. It was in the old graveyard, near the old Narva-Tallinn road (goes now between Hill 69.9 and Grenadier Hill). Do not forget that one of the greatest tank acces - Otto Carius - also fought there. And he is also very alive and just republished his Tigers in the Mud recently again in German. Narva battlefield is really an very interesting area. And not only because of the WWII battles.

Quote by Frundsberg View Post
    Sooden is buried in Jõhvi, near the church and as I remembered his bunker got a direct hit. It was in the old graveyard, near the old Narva-Tallinn road (goes now between Hill 69.9 and Grenadier Hill). Do not forget that one of the greatest tank acces - Otto Carius - also fought there. And he is also very alive and just republished his Tigers in the Mud recently again in German. Narva battlefield is really an very interesting area. And not only because of the WWII battles.
    Of course. I have 3 copies of his book in both German and English, with signature and dedication.
    I also got some signed photos from him.

Quote by don_kihotis7 View Post

Of course. I have 3 copies of his book in both German and English, with signature and dedication.
    I also got some signed photos from him.

My trip to the Ostfront

Here is one

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast