Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Narva Battlefield Helmet Finds Soviet/ German Relics

Article about: Hi, postman dropped off a big box for me today. I hope all will enjoy some pictures. All items I was told by seller/digger, come from, and were dug the Narva area battlefields, Estonia. Sorr

Default Re: Narva Battlefield Helmet Finds Soviet/ German Relics

All very nice items Steve

Cheers, Ade.

Congratulations and thanks for sharing your new treasures! It looks to me though that your german helmets are both m42s...not M40s. If the rims are folded outwards they are m42s...Great Stuff!

Quote by LUCKYSTRIKE View Post
    The beer bottle is a crown cap, the same type of closure that is still used today. The bottle could have contained any of the beers you mentioned. Mass production of glass mean't the same bottle type could be used by many different breweries for their wares.
    I love the helmets, I totally agree on your sentaments, battlefield relics tell a thousand stories. Thats why most of my collection is made up of in my wifes words 'Rust and Dust'!!.
    All the best.
    LUCKYSTRIKE
    Hi Lucky, thanks for the info. I really like this beer bottle. I used to drink a lot of beer, a tasty beverage. The bottle still has the roots that were going in it. A nice touch. No damage or cracks either. Do you think I could find a period cap for it? Any pics of what they look like? The bottle is marked with a W on the bottom, maybe that is the mfg? Just a thought, it would be nice to have a correct nice relic cap for it.

Thats a good name your wife made up. : )

Regards, Steve

Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    Congratulations and thanks for sharing your new treasures! It looks to me though that your german helmets are both m42s...not M40s. If the rims are folded outwards they are m42s...Great Stuff!
    Hi bigmac, yes, M42, it was a typo.

Regards, Steve

I'm okay with this sort of attachment. It only becomes a problem if you put the medal on the market without declaring the repair, or in the event of the super-rare "national treasure" medal (which the Stalingrad isn't). In that case, any repair should be handled by a professional conservator, if at all.

Good rule is not to mess, but all the same it's nice to keep the bits together.

Really nice finds. Congratulations.

Quote by Patgore View Post
    I'm okay with this sort of attachment. It only becomes a problem if you put the medal on the market without declaring the repair, or in the event of the super-rare "national treasure" medal (which the Stalingrad isn't). In that case, any repair should be handled by a professional conservator, if at all.

Good rule is not to mess, but all the same it's nice to keep the bits together.

Really nice finds. Congratulations.

Thanks, I'm OK with it also. No harm, no foul. No ghosts or spirits bothering me yet also. Maybe the mystic poster will chime in. I forget his name, but it was an interesting thread, to say the least.

Regards, Steve

?

Hi Steve , i bet you enjoyed receiving that box ! lovely helmets and i agree with the other opinions , they look fantastic as they are . On the medal , i think you have done the best thing for the correct reason in keeping it all in one piece .I think it`s the infamous Richard Kimmel you are thinking about for the vibe cheers Al

Hi Al, Thanks, me like too. I like getting boxes. I have been watching the mailbox alot lately. Many overseas purchases recently. Doing fairly well so far. I think the medal is not a big deal, looks better and is together and was not altered.
    I am buying a half dozen Riker display boxes/cases to put all my small things in. I am going through 40 years of WW2 collecting, and going to have everything together, ORGANIZED, and not all over the place. Will post pics sometime when complete.

This forum, and another forum that deals with Grenades and Ord, & a nice fellow with an ordnance website in the NL, a friend of mine now, have made me go broke with my new collecting/history hobby. My dog eats better than me. ( nice terrier you have! if that is your dog! )

Yes, that was him, Richard Kimmel the Great. What happened to him? has he made more posts, or just that thread? I am really into collecting battlefield relics now, and have quite a few, no vibes so far

Regards, Steve

3mk
    ?

``Hello 3mk, thanks, I think looks OK also. I explained how I did it in my post?? Just find something with some old rings, or you can even find the right brass or steel, even copper and make some rings, then clear epoxy. I age the rings a bit by holding them in a open flame for a bit till right looking. It all took about 1/2 hour.

Regards, Steve ``

Hello Steve but most of the things i try to fix i just screw up more and i dont think a 12 yr old like myself would be capable of doing all that

Great job on repair!
    I don't think you have done the medal any harm what so ever and those who think it's wrong to touch or alter in any way are being a little too silly for my liking.Should we also not clean the item's and just let them rust and fall appart?
    If that's the case why don't we just leave them in the ground Jeez some guy's need to lighten up! You found them so they are yours to do what you like with. I have semi-restored some delicate item's just to impove display and i think doing the item's justice is good cause
    Tom

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2