Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need help IDing some kind of button/stud

Article about: by Adrian Stevenson Hi Rob, I know where you are coming from. I am not 100% convinced that is what we have here yet. Cheers, Ade. OK, good, 'cos i thought I was going mad. So here's a good e

?

Default Need help IDing some kind of button/stud

Hello fellow collectors.

(I was not sure where to post this so if it is in the wrong section feel free to move this but please let me know).

Can anyone please help me determin whether this (once) brass item (see picture) is WWII or recent?
    It is a surface find from a WWII german Mediterranean beach bunker.
    Looks like a stud or snap-button of some sort..
    It was pretty much "caked" with a green sand/copper oxide matrix I removed. It had the same look like the spent shells and other brass items I retrieve from that site, have so I think it's about the same age, but in such close proximity to the sea it could be newer and just corroded.
    Found nothing on the net, neither german nor allied...

Has anybody seen something like it before? Any clues?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need help IDing some kind of button/stud  

Default Re: Need help IDing some kind of button/stud

Quote by panic View Post
    Hello fellow collectors.

(I was not sure where to post this so if it is in the wrong section feel free to move this but please let me know).

Can anyone please help me determin whether this (once) brass item (see picture) is WWII or recent?
    It is a surface find from a WWII german Mediterranean beach bunker.
    Looks like a stud or snap-button of some sort..
    It was pretty much "caked" with a green sand/copper oxide matrix I removed. It had the same look like the spent shells and other brass items I retrieve from that site, have so I think it's about the same age, but in such close proximity to the sea it could be newer and just corroded.
    Found nothing on the net, neither german nor allied...

Has anybody seen something like it before? Any clues?
    On a WWII jeep, around the place where you get in and onto the seats there is a row of catches where you can press on a piece of canvass to act as a draft excluder for your legs. This draft excluder has buttons on it to press into the catches and yours looks to be one of them, John

?

Thank you John.

I will look this possibility up right now.
    If you are right this was one heck of a driver that got his vehicle to the spot I found it... Or maybe it was blown up...

I believe this is the correct explaination. It is a side curtain
    stud for a WWII jeep. If not for a jeep, then some
    other vehicle.........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Well my internet search remained "fruitless". I found no usefull close-ups of side curtains or other vehicle canvases online.
    Guess I will have to contact our local "Historical Vehicles Club" to check out those studs on those WWII "veterans".
    Thanks guys.

I will take some photos of mine on the Jeep.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

I'm not saying it isn't from a Jeep or some other vehicle, but it looks to me exactly like every pop-stud I've ever seen for the WW1-WW2 period. There is no indication of size, so what makes it from a Jeep and not from a map-case or spectacle case or, well, anything...?

Rob

Hi Rob, there is a ruler in the pic to give a rough idea of size?

These are funny little things. Not so much a press stud. The fittings in the Jeep canvas half doors have a stud fitting called cinch fastener. Pic enclosed of similar I found online. This stud has a tiny little wings which engauges in the female part, which might be what our friend has.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need help IDing some kind of button/stud  
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Rob, there is a ruler in the pic to give a rough idea of size?

Cheers, Ade.
    Oh yes... oops... so there is... talk about not seeing the forest for the trees

OK I understand that, but still all i see is a standard male fastener from a pop-stud. Maybe i should take some pics to illustrate.

Rob

Hi Rob, I know where you are coming from.

I am not 100% convinced that is what we have here yet.

Cheers, Ade.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast