Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

new airfield dump found

Article about: Thanks Steve

Default Re: new airfield dump found

Thats a relief! not that i was worried of course, i would have directed you to the neighbours.Now they are GITS,but thats another story.
    Just another bit of info,the site where this was found operatd Spitfires during the war phew

Quote by sebfrench76 View Post
    Steve,thank you so much for the link on the US aircraft,so interesting!
    No problem Seb Glad to be of help

Appologies for bringing this up again,but id realy like some help with pinpointing what these stamps mean?Dispite some really helpful info,im still struggling with them

Steve the U.S. inspection stamps are exactly what i was expecting.Is there a U.K. version of this site?

I finally got around to cleaning some other items from previous visits.Spured on by that inspection stamp find,which im chuffed with(just havent i.d'd it yet) i found this.Do we know what powered RAF radios in ww2? As its pre dri-cell acquisition,(1957 Exide bought in to the automotive sector) would it be fair to assume this could be an aircraft battery part? okay it could just be a tester part,who knows?

From Wiki

Exide was founded by W.W. Gibbs in 1888 and was then called Electric Storage Battery Company. Gibbs purchased the ideas and patents of inventor Clement Payen to make the storage battery a commercial product. Gibbs targeted electric lighting companies so they could use the storage batteries to provide services to their customers.

In 1900, the company developed a product of greater capacity and less weight for electric taxicabs. This battery was the first to bear the name Exide, short for "Excellent Oxide".

When the United States entered World War I, Exide batteries were used to operate airplane radio sets and power radio stations. In 1938, Exide acquired Giant Storage Battery Company, and expanded into battery chargers and testers.[3]

Exide bought out the dry battery business of a company called Brittania Batteries Ltd.

During World War II, Exide was a major supplier of batteries for U.S. Navy submarines and primary contractor for batteries used in the Mark 18 electric torpedo.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture new airfield dump found  

A few more peices to look at on this cold miserable evening pics 2 and 3 look interesting,any thoughts on what they might be?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture new airfield dump found   new airfield dump found  

new airfield dump found  

Hi CB,
    Thanks for posting your latest finds, good to see finds they're still coming out.
    Picture 2 looks like part of a brake shoe thats missing the asbestos pad probably an aircraft brake shoe and picture 3 looks like the top from a fuel container.
    Cheers
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Keep up the good work mate!

Here it is
    new airfield dump found

John

Thanks very much for that I.D. guys,im chuffed with that

HI CB,

I've found a few of those brake shoes over the years, Ive just been looking back through my pics to find one for reference. Although not quite the same in this example I have found your type with the circular hole in the past. The two I show here were in great condition but as an added precaution I sealed the pads with two coats of matt varnish.

new airfield dump found

All the Best.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast