Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

New UK Airfield explore, with interesting finds..

Article about: Nice finds. Lovely little brass item Steve T

?

Default Re: New UK Airfield explore, with interesting finds..

If the base is Scorton it could be P61 Black Widow (very unlikely) otherwise nose radomes were only fitted to Mosquitos and Beaufighters in WW2 but those look to be smaller.

I wonder if the road wheel might have been off one of those little tractors that pulled aircraft around? funny that the battery box lid is in pretty good shape being that they are exposed close to the corrosive effects of battery's. are you planning on any metal detecting?. best of luck too you. thanks for showing all this, since there is not much here in the U.S. I like to see old places like this.
    regards Marty

Pictures came out really good mate i think they look even better with the mist

John

Thanks for all your help.
    The battery box lid is made of a plastic type material almost bakelite which I guess was battery acid resistant, it has survived well considering its age I'll post cleaned pictures soon. The dump area is so full of pieces of metal, rust etc that trying to metal detect would be a waste of time, it's easier to just dig through it especially because its so shallow. But I might have a go in the future because the backs of the dispersal area's looked interesting.
    I was thinking along similar lines on the solid wheel, if not some sort of airfield tractor perhaps a trailer maybe even for moving bombs around the site. Hopefully someone may have an idea?
    Finn, If you ever get the chance to visit the UK you'll be spoilt for choice on war time related sites to visit, by wars end there were over 650+ airfield sites alone, many are still accessible with plenty of evocative ruins to see.
    All the best and a Happy New to everyone.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Very nice finds and a truly evocative site. The pictures tell their own story !

Did you get a chance to MD around any of the area ?

Cheers

Steve T

Steve,
    As of yet no MDing but I think around the dispersals would be worth ago, will up date this post if anythings recovered.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

LS

Going on the volume of finds I get around old barrack buildings, I would search around those too. Also, I find quite a few bits around the shelters, especially those with built up 'earth' sides. I get the impression that the personnel would use them for sunbathing and such like. I find lots of coins and buttons around these type of shelter.

Good luck !

Steve T

I've finally got around to showing the cleaned up finds, there's not too much because the light was fading when we were there but Im pleased with what I recovered.
    Ps Im a little annoyed I forgot to bring back a small torch I found but Whitehunter thinks he knows where I left it so hopefully I'll get it next time.

First up is the aircraft battery box lid, dated Nov 1943.

Then some sort of hose perhaps for oxygen?

More finds, some sort of clip or buckle, electrical cable and a large sized screw top. Sadly the top is unmarked but now Ive cleaned it I think that perhaps its a telegraph/telephone wire insulator?

Close up of marked bakelite item on the cable, it says CBS do you have any idea's?

I have no idea what this piece is, it has an electrical fitting at its base which is marked?

The final item was found as a dark piece of metal but cleaned up to reveal these nice markings, code is for Aircraft electrical for armament

Thank you

LUCKYSTRIKE
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture New UK Airfield explore, with interesting finds..  

Great job cleaning the stuff mate. Nice to see the lid had a date

?

5D/706: Adapter, External, Fuzing Unit

All the best,
    PB

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast