Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

New UK Airfield explore, with interesting finds..

Article about: Nice finds. Lovely little brass item Steve T

Default Re: New UK Airfield explore, with interesting finds..

Here's the last lot of finds from the weekend search, Im very pleased to discover that I had another aircraft dial

First up is a piece of air frame.

An unidentified buckle and perhaps a pull clip, my hand for scale.

A very robust and heavy box clip?, its around 4 inches long.

Now something I'm ecstatic to have, when i pulled this out of the ground I thought it was perhaps an internal component from some sort of meter. I couldn't see anything on its front, but once washed it revealed its identity. Sadly not the best of condition and due to this was washed very carefully.
    I'm pleased to say I've managed to decipher what it says:-
    reading from the top down UNDER CARRIAGE below to the left P? and the right S between them is says UNLOCKED. Below that is NIGHT & DAY. Below that and it was hard to read but I think it says PULLED? CHANGE LAMPS and finally below that LOCKED DOWN.

Was this a standard dial for many aircraft or specific to one type?

A fork that's been heavily modified, perhaps as a tool for a specific task or just as a good luck charm before a mission. I remember Whitehunter found one similar in one of his threads.

I have on idea what this well made heavy brass item is, it was riveted to a thin steel skin?

A few mixed finds, bicycle pump made of early plastic its marked Made in England, a cup shown before in the as found section. An unusual chromed tool? and a Nivea tin.

The final few will follow.

LUCKYSTRIKE

As usual,your threads are sweet for my mouth.....
    Many thanks for the dreams you offer to me.I cannot find words to qualify your forest pics....Brilliant,that's it!!
    I was feeling like in The Cure song:a Forest.
    Your items are taking me by the hand to cross this bridge beetween periods.Georgeous LS!!

The chrome tool?

A piece of well marked air skin that retains original paint.

A heavy electrical steel box, a mains cable comes out of both ends. Do you have any idea's what it is?

Finally a very strong metal frame this would have needed a lot of force to flatten it, do you have any idea's? I thought possible protection around a light.

Thats it for now, I'm already looking forward to my next visit
    Thank you for any help you can provide.

LUCKYSTRIKE

Hi Lucky,

The piece of aircraft skin appears to have a De Havilland inspection stamp on it, i don't know what type but the 3 digit number '655' is the code for what type.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Hi Seb,
    Thankyou for your poetic encouragement, it was a pleasure to post the pictures, The foggy day of my visit really gave the airfield a solemn almost sad feel. Wandering around it was so quiet with no one around, but it was easy to imagine the bustle and noise of aircraft and personel dashing around the site preparing for a mission during WW2. I hope the pictures captured just a little of the feeling I felt.

Hi Ned,
    Thats very welcome news, although a large variety of aircraft types flew from this airfield during WW2, the one De Havilland type that stood out was the Mosquito .
    LUCKYSTRIKE

?

Another good selection there! The undercarriage indicator could be Lanc, Hurricane or something with a fixed tail wheel, pic way down the page here:
    SpitfireSpares.com - warbird Instruments
    Fuel gauge definately aircraft and for a plane with at least three tanks! not sure what though.

Hello Ian,
    Once again you've been a great help thanks for the link, that's the beauty . Now I do know that Hurricaines used the airfield but no Lanc's are recorded. But strangely you may have seen the picture of the toilet lid identified as used in Lancs and larger bombers so perhaps they did make an appearance at some time.
    Did you see the plastic gauge surround with OS2000 on, you're very good with the id's so perhaps you might have any idea what it could stand for?
    All the very best.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

I've discovered what the three fuel tank gauge came from and mighty pleased I am too . It's from a rare De Havilland Hornet, an aircraft that was built using the same wooden construction technics as the Mosquito. It entered RAF service toward the end of WW2 and was used post war in Malaya. There's a nice picture of a complete gauge at the bottom of this link SpitfireSpares.com - warbird Instruments

LUCKYSTRIKE

The fuel gauge looks very similar to one we found at a mosquito site, will have to dig it out and the chrome tool looks to have come from a navigators kit.

Not sue but the bent 3 leg frame work looks to be part of a filter housing

Hi Fighterace,
    Thank you, perhaps the Mosquito and it's improved version the Hornet used the same type of fuel gauge. Did you finish digging the Mossie site out, was it a crash site are rubbish dump for a Mosquito airfield?. If you took any pictures it would be great if you could post a few.
    All the best.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast