Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

New UK Airfield explore, with interesting finds..

Article about: Nice finds. Lovely little brass item Steve T

Default Re: New UK Airfield explore, with interesting finds..

I see you have an RAF radio channel selector, (the rectangular thingie middle of the group picture, bottom, with the five big holes and slot at the bottom), as I have one just the same To the left of the holes will be the letters A B C D E and then ON/OFF........I think

Mansion Polish as well. I reckon they must have used that to clean metal on their uniform as well as furniture.

Steve T

Heres my first find cleaned and Im pleased with this, lots of data plates . Its the remains of an RAF Radio Bomber Crystal Monitor type 2. For more info and to see a good'un here is a link to the excellent Spitfire spares web site its just over half way down.
    SpitfireSpares.com - warbird Radio

Cheers
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Picture 41: 637 = Vickers Valetta. Is there a "VA" in the inspectors stamp? (The stamped circle)

Correct about the Vickers stamp - that hose is from a Wellington (285 prefix)

Quote by skypilot View Post
    Picture 41: 637 = Vickers Valetta. Is there a "VA" in the inspectors stamp? (The stamped circle)

Thanks for the correction. Is this the same Elliott with a healthy passion for HP57 parts?

Quote by skypilot View Post
    Thanks for the correction. Is this the same Elliott with a healthy passion for HP57 parts?
    Hi SP - yes, but i'm more of a Whitley man these days...! Don't suppose you know of any Whitleys in the IOM? I used to spend many happy days there as a kid going up North Barrule and Snaefell.

Welcome aboard Elliott. If I may blow your trumpet a little........

Elliott can be genuinely considered an expert in the field of historic aviation. His presence on the forum is certainly a huge asset and he is a fount of knowledge.

Back to Whitley's.......I only have one actual Whitley crash recorded on the Isle of Man, which stalled on take-off from RAF Andreas on 23/8/1942, crashing at West Kimmeragh Farm just outside the airfield killing most of those onboard. The tragedy is that the chap flying was Wing Commander Edward Vincent "Teddy" Knowles DFC, his girlfriend Thelma(?) and his friend Major Tait. It is rumoured that it was purely a case of showing off that proved fatal. Very sad and very unnecessary, which given the details of those onboard seems logical.

Details as follows:
    296 Sqn Whitley V BD417. On a glider towing exercise (P/O T Tennyson) from Netheravon to Nutts Corner, glider broke free (crew rescued from ditching) and Whitley diverted to RNAS Ronldsway at Isle of Man. No correct fuel available so short trip to RAF Andreas. On arrival, Wg Cdr Knowles (OC RAF Andreas) asked to "borrow" aircraft. Onboard: Wg Cdr Knowles DFC; Thelma Kersley; Major Geoffrey Killigrew Wait MC (OC airfield defence) & F/O Andrew Bryce Paton (duty pilot). Four airmen sat at the rear to act as ballast. T/O at 1738hrs, stalled and crashed very shortly afterwards, breaking into two. All 3 officers and female companion were killed, 3 airmen uninjured, one airman - LAC Alfred Henderson died later that day from severe head injuries. All are buried at Andreas churchyard with the exception of LAC Henderson who was buried in Stirling, presumably his home town.

In a sad postscript, Maj Wait's son Richard also died on war service in 1945 serving with the Royal Armoured Corps.

Addendum:
    77 Sqn Whitley V (KN-D) N1356 - 8/6/1940. Written off (Cat W) after main gear tyres exploded on landing and undercarriage collapsed at RAF Jurby after cross-country navex from Driffield. Pilot - Sgt T E Coogan (& crew) survived.

Further details can be found in my good friend Steve poole's excellent book "Rough Landing or Fatal Flight".
    Last edited by skypilot; 07-23-2011 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Corrections and more detail

Thanks a lot for posting that info SP - thats really interesting. Did you ever manage to find any fragments at all?

Also, just wondering if anyone ever found a dump at Andreas or Jurby?

Quote by Elliott1940 View Post
    Thanks a lot for posting that info SP - thats really interesting. Did you ever manage to find any fragments at all?

Also, just wondering if anyone ever found a dump at Andreas or Jurby?
    Not been to that site but my understanding is there's very little to find as it was on low ground and close to the airfield, also it was a low speed impact so the crash recovery crew did a good job.

Dumps? Now that would be telling.....

Hello Skypilot and Elliott1940,
    Thank you so much for identifying this relic tubing, you beat me to it I was going to dig it out to check the markings as requested but hadn't got around to it due to visits to the War and Peace show. It's from a Wellington thats great Im very pleased with this because Ive always had a soft spot for these aircraft and as far as I know this is the first piece Ive found identified from this model. The history of the airfield has no records of Wellingtons using it but at the close of the war was used to dispose of surplus gear, so it probably ended up being lost then.

Skypilot a bit late but welcome to the forum sorry I haven't replied sooner, I have seen many of your recent posts and I love the scrap yard pic's and you certainly know your stuff, I'm very impressed by your knowledge and offers of help and also your enthusiasm for the hobby. So Im looking forward to seeing your posts on your MD finds or dump dug relics that you'll be recovering in the future.
    All the Best.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast